10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Chester Road roadworks.

<< 1 2 >>

JDSUP4IT
Top Photographer

JDSUP4IT
Chester Road roadworks.
24th July 2012 at 2:45PM
Work has begun today (24th July) on the reconstruction of the railway bridge over Chester Road - yet more frustration for motorists - and will continue until September 21st. Lights will control the flow of traffic until Monday 13th August, but from then, until Sunday 26th August, the road will actually be CLOSED. Let the chaos commence.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Quote Report  
Robot69
Citizen

Robot69
Re: Chester Road roadworks.
24th July 2012 at 5:35PM
I think they should wait until the first week in September to start the works; no real point doing it when the road will be quieter - may as well cause as much chaos as possible!

They've only just finished some roadworks next to the bridge supported with traffic lights and, TBH, it wasn't that bad. Closing the road will be bad but if its a Sunday its the lesser of all the evils.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
ComfortablyNumb
Villager

ComfortablyNumb
24th July 2012 at 8:25PM
JDSUP4IT Wrote:

Work has begun today (24th July) on the reconstruction of the railway bridge over Chester Road - yet more frustration for motorists - and will continue until September 21st. Lights will control the flow of traffic until Monday 13th August, but from then, until Sunday 26th August, the road will actually be CLOSED. Let the chaos commence.

Drove over the bridge today (4 ish) no roadworks,--- unless they had packed up for the day.
ComfortablyNumb
Villager

ComfortablyNumb
24th July 2012 at 8:48PM
Got me thinking this. The bridge was straightend (is that spelling correct :confused:) about 15-20 years ago, do any oldies (me being one) remember the old bridge, it had a more pronouced bend in it. ----The mind plays terrible tricks when you get to my age (Grover born n bred)
SatiricalSloth
Top Photographer

SatiricalSloth
24th July 2012 at 10:33PM
ComfortablyNumb Wrote:

Got me thinking this. The bridge was straightend (is that spelling correct :confused:) about 15-20 years ago, do any oldies (me being one) remember the old bridge, it had a more pronouced bend in it. ----The mind plays terrible tricks when you get to my age (Grover born n bred)

The original poster mentioned reconstructing the railway bridge. I would assume this is the one that goes over the road near the boulevard? Rather than a road bridge? (over a railway?)

I don't venture down Chester Road much my self so I'm not familiar with the bridges.
ComfortablyNumb
Villager

ComfortablyNumb
25th July 2012 at 6:11AM
Yes indeed , we may be talking about the goods line bridge then
JDSUP4IT
Top Photographer

JDSUP4IT
25th July 2012 at 8:38AM
To quote the Network Rail letter I received ... "Chester Road will be closed between Monday 13th August 2012 and Sunday 26th August 2012 to enable the core demolition and reconstruction works" So, unfortunately, we're in for a couple of weeks of finding alternative routes.
JDSUP4IT
Top Photographer

JDSUP4IT
25th July 2012 at 8:56AM
The road bridge (OVER the railway line) did indeed have a pronounced bend at its apex. There were a number of accidents there prior to it being straightened. I recall seeing one car that had gone through the fence and down the embankment, ending up on its side close to the field.
JDSUP4IT
Top Photographer

JDSUP4IT
25th July 2012 at 9:09AM
The original post said 'reconstruction of the RAILWAY bridge OVER Chester Road'.
Robot69
Citizen

Robot69
25th July 2012 at 9:37AM
I misread the bit about the road being closed for a week - not good! However, I suspect there are no options given what they are doing. Better over the summer months than starting during school term.
JDSUP4IT
Top Photographer

JDSUP4IT
25th July 2012 at 12:36PM
As of lunch time today (25/7) the traffic lights which will affect the railway bridge reconstruction have not, as yet, been installed. But get this - there are now Gas Board repairs going on at the cross roads of Lyndhurst and Cavendish which are controlled by traffic lights. This is now creating a queue stretching back as far as the aforementioned railway bridge. God help us.
<< 1 2 >>

Part of..