Hazel Grove News

A Suburb in Stockport

10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Busted. How will the Con Party explain this?

Sevenmilesout
Townsperson

Sevenmilesout
Busted. How will the Con Party explain this?
17th February 2016 at 6:09PM
The following Channel 4 video is incredible, but not altogether surprising. Surely a matter for the Police?

I had my doubts about the Con Party General Election spend and whether they kept within the law. This occurred at bi-elections in 2014, but what about the 2015 GE?

No love for UKIP and none for the Con Party, but take a few minutes.

https://www.facebook.com/PigGateuk/videos/507316969439495/
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
Re: Busted. How will the Con Party explain this?
17th February 2016 at 6:36PM
Cannot speak for those concerned but we always conduct ourselves within the letter and spirit of the law in this constituency.

There have been issues with all parties in the past in various seats but it has always been very difficult to prove.
Obviously due process should be carried out and if wrong doing is found to have happened, then the appropriate justice should be meted out.

Sevenmilesout
Townsperson

Sevenmilesout
17th February 2016 at 7:45PM
Have you watched it Oliver?

It seems very much like game, set and match, in the Channel 4 documentary. This is a very serious situation, not something you can blame on anyone else, and you can be sure that Cameron's Cronies will be desperately scratching their heads for an answer before the return of the Dark One.

If the Con Party are guilty of breaking the law, what do you think should happen?

It could be a UK version of Watergate or Pig-gate II in his case. I'm praying it will be just that.
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
17th February 2016 at 10:19PM
I haven't but I place my faith in the police and the justice system, not Channel 4.

I don't agree that it would be as significant as Watergate - the accountable person is the nominated election agent who returns the forms for campaign expenses and is legally responsible for all aspects of an individual campaign. It would be they who would face prosecution if and only if genuine wrong-doing could be proven.

We will wait and see on this one. If wrong doing is proven, it is up to the judge what happens but I think custodial sentences have to be imposed - it is tantamount to fraud in my opinion.
Sevenmilesout
Townsperson

Sevenmilesout
18th February 2016 at 12:02PM
Yes, fair enough, innocent until proven guilty. I wouldn't stake my life on anything in the media, particularly right wing media.

The common denominator though is that it appears to have happened in three separate bi-elections, in the same way (i.e. hotel and conference costs) so it leads me to believe that some people at the top of the pyramid knew it was happening. It isn't £200 or so either way, which could be possibly forgiven. It is tens of thousands of pounds.

However, if the law has been broken, is there a precedent for a bi-election re-run, if election fraud has taken place?
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
18th February 2016 at 1:26PM
I am not aware of a precedent - again historically suspicions around a candidate's election expenses are very hard to prove. I imagine though that the electoral court would declare the prior election null and void - hence a by-election would be re-run.

The Conservative Party is on an operational level very heavily de-centralised, although traditionally more centralised concerning policy formulation. Consequently, it is entirely conceivable that this could happen without the involvement of anyone at the top. Again the burden of proof as to who was involved/knew about this would be substantial.
sam39
Villager

sam39
18th February 2016 at 3:21PM
The Representation of the People Act 1983, requires that any criminal charges be brought within one year of the alleged offence being committed. The Elections Administration Act 2006, allowed that period to extend to two years provided an application is made to a magistrate within the one year period. The 2014 elections are out of time for criminal charges to be brought. If there are allegations about the May GE, any complainants better get a move on - time is passing! The Electoral Commission can fine a political party outside those time limits. I think the maximum is £20K. I understand that a complaint has been made to the Commission, which is now investigating.
sam39
Villager

sam39
18th February 2016 at 3:43PM
For the sake of clarity, there is no provision to re-run an election based upon financial irregularities. There were two cases of re-runs after candidates were found to have made false statements about their opponents. Grell, in a local election, and Woolas in a Parliamentary election. Both were found to have breached Sect 106 of RPA and a re-run was ordered.
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
18th February 2016 at 4:20PM
What he said.....
Artie_Fufkin
Villager

Artie_Fufkin
19th February 2016 at 11:07AM
If they were re-run the GE election now, I suspect the Conservatives would get far more seats.

Part of..