<< 1 2 >>

jeff267
Idler

jeff267
Brewer’s Green, Hazel Grove
25th June 2007 at 9:13AM
Hello,

My wife and I live in Worcestershire.

My wife's grandfather was born in 1871 at Brewer's Green in Hazel Grove. I have found Brewer's Green to be opposite the A6 entrance to Grosvenor Street i.e. on the other side of the A6.

It seems to be a small street/geographical area and I can find no postal addresses for Brewer's Green on the Post Office website.

We frequently come to Buxton in Derbyshire and I see that Hazel Grove Railway Station (on a rail route from Buxton) is not too far from Brewer's Green. We could easily visit Brewer's Green but we wondered if there is anything to see there as the street/location is very short/small. I would be very grateful if anyone could describe what is there - what sort of a location it is - is there anything to see there i.e. shops, houses etc? Is there any local historian who knows anything about the history of Brewers Green? Hope it's not too much of an imposition!

Of course Brewer's Green may be nothing like it was in 1871. Maybe the A6 itself has demolished most of it. Anything you can say to help would be appreciated.

Jeff Smith
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Quote Report  
janet
Villager

janet
Re: Brewer’s Green, Hazel Grove
26th June 2007 at 3:32PM
I remember brewers green from about 30 yrs ago. It was between the anchor and woodman pubs. I knew it when it was a one-way st. I think it may have become a ratrun so maybe thats why they closed off the access from the a6. Nowadays its just beer gardens from the pubs, and the entrance to the co-op carpark. It still leads to mount pleasant though.i won,t say how many yrs ago but i seem to remember when i was a little girl,passing rows of cottages on brewers green to get to my grandparents house on green lane
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Jeff267
Drifter
26th June 2007 at 5:58PM
Hello Janet,

Thank you very much for your contribution. Does anyone else share Janet's memories?

Jeff
john
Idler

john
4th July 2007 at 3:21PM
remember brewers green well now live off brewers green Green lane , remember same as Janet .. Allso used to be a butchers on the corner Mr Daniels had it for years and lived in one of the cottages allso on brewers green.Hazel grove is now a very busy place and so are all the roads off brewers green .Im sure your your wife would see a great change hope you find out more
Jeff267
Drifter
5th July 2007 at 1:49PM
Hello John,

Another piece into the jigsaw thank you very much.

Best Wishes,
Jeff
Allen1
Top Photographer

Allen1
30th August 2008 at 9:05PM, Edit: 30th August 2008 at 9:05PM by Allen1
Yep Brewers Green inbetween The Anchour and The Woodman I used to catch a bus in Stockport and it went down Brewers Green. It took the workers to Mullards Semiconductors on Pepper Rd , and there were several buses to the Mirlees factory. that was in 1974
John Daniels
Drifter
2nd March 2011 at 4:18PM
I have just done a search "Brewers Green" Hazel Grove.

I am Mr. Daniels' son. I also was born on Brewers Green (No.5). The cottages were demolished around 1980 to make way for the public Car Park. The butchers shop is now part of the Woodman Inn which my parents had planned some 30 years before but were twarted because Dad had a heart attack. He died in 1980 but my mother survived until 2009. I have vivid and fond memories of my time in Brewers Green!!
Strider
Drifter
2nd March 2011 at 4:42PM
You may find this of interest.

http://interactive.stockport.gov.uk/heritage/Directories/1910/329.pdf
Debbieh
Drifter
3rd March 2011 at 5:24AM
Bet no one will be reminising about Brewers Green anymore!!!
grover
Townsperson

grover
3rd March 2011 at 10:43AM
All information was given to Jeff267 in 2007 on page 7 of the "other" Hazel Grove Forum. It is in the Archives for that Forum. Editor might add the web address here for those who would like more information? :-)
nedsram
Townsperson

nedsram
3rd March 2011 at 11:49AM
grover Wrote:

All information was given to Jeff267 in 2007 on page 7 of the "other" Hazel Grove Forum. It is in the Archives for that Forum. Editor might add the web address here for those who would like more information? :-)

Well this editor can:

http://poyntonweb.yuku.com/topic/1174/Brewers-Green-Hazel-Grove
<< 1 2 >>

Part of..