Box junctions on the A6

<< 1 2 3 >>

Jenny
Villager

Jenny
Re: Box junctions on the A6
23rd May 2016 at 12:23PM
Serenity Wrote:

I can understand what you are saying Jenny, but at this particular junction does it make much difference. Even if the car in front of you was to move into the yellow box,how would that then free you to move on. As until the car in front went round the corner they'd still be blocking that line wouldn't they?

There is a sensor in the middle of the box junction. If it detects that a car is waiting on the sensor, the right turn filter green arrow will come on at the end of the cycle to allow right turning cars to go. If people don't wait on that sensor then the green arrow won't come on, and all those cars waiting behind to turn right won't be able to.

sparrow Wrote:

I will not enter a yellow box, even if it allowed to do so, whilst wating at traffic lights in case Ambulance, Fire or Police need to get through a junction at high speed, if these junctions are blocked it could be the difference between life or death, so if a driver behind is honking their horn, more fool them, motorists should remember that it is better to be 10 mins late in this life that 5 mins early in the next.

Then you shouldn't have a driving licence if you don't know the rules of the road.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
sparrow
Villager

sparrow
23rd May 2016 at 12:32PM
Jenny. I hope you are never waiting for an Ambulance for a loved one that is stuck in traffic on the A6 after posting a comment like that.
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
23rd May 2016 at 12:37PM
sparrow Wrote:

I will not enter a yellow box, even if it allowed to do so, whilst wating at traffic lights in case Ambulance, Fire or Police need to get through a junction at high speed, if these junctions are blocked it could be the difference between life or death, so if a driver behind is honking their horn, more fool them, motorists should remember that it is better to be 10 mins late in this life that 5 mins early in the next.

I have to agree as well Sparrow. There's lots of other considerations going on at this particular junction that in my mind would make entering that particular yellow box a risk.

And whilst you're quoting the rules of the highway code Jenny, you might want to consider that whilst that agressive blast of your horn is helping vent your fustration, it is when all said and done not accomplishing much and is illegal,
Jenny
Villager

Jenny
23rd May 2016 at 12:37PM
sparrow Wrote:

Jenny. I hope you are never waiting for an Ambulance for a loved one that is stuck in traffic on the A6 after posting a comment like that.

You do realise that what you're doing is actively making a concious choice to hold up traffic? The actions of people like you effectively cause the A6 to be a single lane for straight ahead traffic at that junction, backing the traffic up, thus actually making it more difficult for ambulances to get through. Tell me, is that going to help a loved one waiting for an ambulance? No.

I can go to sleep tonight knowing that my actions are actually better for the emergency services to get through, can you sleep better tonight?

The sensor is there, and placed where it is for a reason, to help clear traffic quicker, thus helping ambulances get through. By not using the sensor, you are effectively killing people (since you bought that up)
1 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Jenny
Villager

Jenny
23rd May 2016 at 12:39PM
Serenity Wrote:

And whilst you're quoting the rules of the highway code Jenny, you might want to consider that whilst that agressive blast of your horn is helping vent your fustration, it is when all said and done not accomplishing much and is illegal,

Alerting others to my presence, perfectly legal to alert someone to the fact that they may have forgotten that there are people behind them.
vulcanman
Townsperson

vulcanman
23rd May 2016 at 12:47PM
So whilst I agree with you Jenny concerning the issue of boxes (entering is all to do with your exit being free), you should not use your horn for this as you are stationary (see below) ... Having said that, I would probably do the same:)

"A horn should only be used when warning someone of danger, not to indicate your annoyance at a manner of driving.

A horn should not be sounded when stationary on a road at anytime, other than at times of danger due to another vehicle on or near the road.

A horn should not be used on a moving vehicle on a restricted road (basically a road that has street lights and a 30mph limit) between the times of 2330hrs and 0700hrs."
Jenny
Villager

Jenny
23rd May 2016 at 1:03PM
vulcanman Wrote:

So whilst I agree with you Jenny concerning the issue of boxes (entering is all to do with your exit being free), you should not use your horn for this as you are stationary (see below) ... Having said that, I would probably do the same:)

"A horn should only be used when warning someone of danger, not to indicate your annoyance at a manner of driving.

A horn should not be sounded when stationary on a road at anytime, other than at times of danger due to another vehicle on or near the road.

A horn should not be used on a moving vehicle on a restricted road (basically a road that has street lights and a 30mph limit) between the times of 2330hrs and 0700hrs."

Fair point. I could take the holier than thou attitude that some on here take and pretend that I'm doing it for the sake of the ambulances, but it literally is sheer frustration that some people just don't know how to drive considerately to other road users.
TwistedBanana
Townsperson

TwistedBanana
23rd May 2016 at 1:08PM, Edit: 23rd May 2016 at 1:11PM by TwistedBanana
This is really disturbing that there are two people on here that actually have decided that the don't agree with the Highway Code and ignore it as they don't agree with it. The rules are there for a reason, you can't just say "not doing that, don't like that rule".

Sod it, i don't like the colour red so from now on I am going to start ignoring red lights

Do you also cruise along in the middle lane of the motorway because you don't believe it to be an overtaking only lane???

The fact is by not entering the box when waiting to turn right you are not triggering the sensor for the filter (i am taking Jenny's word on that one but it does explain the randomness of this filter) but you are also reducing the amount of cars who get to turn right and in fact as you are virtually back behind the stopping line you are virtually jumping the red light when it changes. But the big one is that you are clogging that junction up and actually causing bigger risk for emergency vehicles by not allowing the traffic to flow

I am absolutley gobsmacked and to be honest slightly appauled
1 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
TwistedBanana
Townsperson

TwistedBanana
23rd May 2016 at 1:17PM
Rule 174
Box junctions. These have criss-cross yellow lines painted on the road (see ‘Road markings’). You MUST NOT enter the box until your exit road or lane is clear. However, you may enter the box and wait when you want to turn right, and are only stopped from doing so by oncoming traffic, or by other vehicles waiting to turn right. At signalled roundabouts you MUST NOT enter the box unless you can cross over it completely without stopping.
Jenny
Villager

Jenny
23rd May 2016 at 1:24PM
To be fair, the junction is badly designed. I've run it past a traffic engineer friend and they've confirmed as such.

Given that the A6 is already effectively a single lane at that point because of right turners (heading north), the right hand lane just needs to be made into a dedicated right turn lane (which won't make any difference to the real world), move the sensor outside of the box to behind the stop line and it's as fixed as it will ever be.
<< 1 2 3 >>

Part of..