10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Box junctions on the A6

<< 1 2 3 >>

nedsram
Townsperson

nedsram
Box junctions on the A6
14th May 2016 at 11:13PM
Admittedly the box junction markings at the Dialstone Lane and Sainsbury's junctions are in need of repainting, but this doesn't excuse the behaviour of drivers when I returned from Stockport to Poynton the other day. First, at Dialstone Lane, a car blocked the southbound box, causing chaos for people trying to turn right into Dialstone Lane.Then I tried to turn right into Bramhall Moor Lane. Part of the problem is that there isn't enough room at peak times for traffic turning right from Bramhall Moor Lane to fit into the short space available, but that's no excuse for people blocking the junction so that you can't turn right into Bramhall Moor Lane. It was only at the third green light that anybody at all could turn right, by which time the queue had backed up beyond the right turn lane.

If the police read this forum, perhaps they could spend some time enforcing the box junctions - or perhaps the council could install box junction cameras to catch these idiots.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
TwistedBanana
Townsperson

TwistedBanana
Re: Box junctions on the A6
16th May 2016 at 9:58AM
My big issue with yellow box junctions is slightly different. I regularly have to turn right off the A6 into Commercial Road. This junction has quite a random filter on and very few cars turning right get through when the lights change. Part of the problem is that often the front car is unwilling to move forward into the yellow box while waiting to turn.

The highway code states that you can enter the yellow box when waiting for oncoming traffic while waiting to turn right. If every driver followed this basic law then at least two or three more cars would get though this junction each lights change and that would ease the flow of traffic around this area.

I have witnessed this so many times at so many box junctions and it really gets my back up - I probably should chill out a bit more but I am at grumpy middle aged git time of life
2 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
BlueGrover
Forum Moderator

BlueGrover
17th May 2016 at 8:17AM
During the evening rush hour(sic),they pile out of New Moor Lane wanting to turn right and have no where to go. These mouth breathing idiots then fill the yellow box, blocking the way for anyone wanting to turn into New Moor Lane. The A6 at Mill Lane lights need to be on green to give them somewhere to go.
nedsram
Townsperson

nedsram
17th May 2016 at 8:52AM
I couldn't agree more. That whole junction is a planning disaster.

Stockport could also try phasing the lights along the A6, as Manchester do on Kingsway in Burnage. On the A6, it's common to be stopped just as you reach a light that was on green. When you finally get going again, the same thing happens at the next one. I've seen traffic jams in Stockport on Sundays when there is relatively little traffic about.
glenandem
Forum Moderator

glenandem
17th May 2016 at 9:14PM
I'd take away a few lights myself, every day it cracks me up we have so many within yards of each other and people are still too lazy to use them and cross between them lol
Jenny
Villager

Jenny
22nd May 2016 at 10:56PM, Edit: 22nd May 2016 at 10:57PM by Jenny
TwistedBanana Wrote:

My big issue with yellow box junctions is slightly different. I regularly have to turn right off the A6 into Commercial Road. This junction has quite a random filter on and very few cars turning right get through when the lights change. Part of the problem is that often the front car is unwilling to move forward into the yellow box while waiting to turn.

The highway code states that you can enter the yellow box when waiting for oncoming traffic while waiting to turn right. If every driver followed this basic law then at least two or three more cars would get though this junction each lights change and that would ease the flow of traffic around this area.

I have witnessed this so many times at so many box junctions and it really gets my back up - I probably should chill out a bit more but I am at grumpy middle aged git time of life

I have to agree with this so strongly. The amount of totally inconsiderate drivers who refuse to move forward into the box junction to activate the sensor that's embedded in the road (roughly in the middle of the junction) amazes me.

If you're turning right there, and you have me with my hand on the horn behind you, it's because you're being an inconsiderate **** and haven't moved forward.

If nobody is on that sensor when the lights are timed to turn red, they will just turn red without the right turn signal phase.

If we had a councillor who cared, they'd be aware of this and would be trying to push for that sensor to be moved outside of the box junction, or rephase the traffic lights so that the green arrow always comes on, rather than relying on the sensor. They'd much rather bother themselves with putting a gate on a car park than actually making a real difference.
TwistedBanana
Townsperson

TwistedBanana
23rd May 2016 at 9:36AM
Jenny Wrote:

TwistedBanana Wrote:

I have to agree with this so strongly. The amount of totally inconsiderate drivers who refuse to move forward into the box junction to activate the sensor that's embedded in the road (roughly in the middle of the junction) amazes me.

If you're turning right there, and you have me with my hand on the horn behind you, it's because you're being an inconsiderate **** and haven't moved forward.

If nobody is on that sensor when the lights are timed to turn red, they will just turn red without the right turn signal phase.

If we had a councillor who cared, they'd be aware of this and would be trying to push for that sensor to be moved outside of the box junction, or rephase the traffic lights so that the green arrow always comes on, rather than relying on the sensor. They'd much rather bother themselves with putting a gate on a car park than actually making a real difference.

Jenny, I am not sure they are inconsiderate, I really dont think they know the rules of the road, I think they see a box junction and just assume you can't enter it for fear of being shot.

Although that is interesting what you say about there being a road sensor in place, I never realised that and it would explain the apparent randomness of the filter. This is now going to wind me up even more when traffic won't enter box
TwistedBanana
Townsperson

TwistedBanana
23rd May 2016 at 9:45AM
Jenny Wrote:

TwistedBanana Wrote:

Jenny, I am not sure they are inconsiderate, I really dont think they know the rules of the road, I think they see a box junction and just assume you can't enter it for fear of being shot.

Although that is interesting what you say about there being a road sensor in place, I never realised that and it would explain the apparent randomness of the filter. This is now going to wind me up even more when traffic won't enter box
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
23rd May 2016 at 11:30AM
I can understand what you are saying Jenny, but at this particular junction does it make much difference. Even if the car in front of you was to move into the yellow box,how would that then free you to move on. As until the car in front went round the corner they'd still be blocking that line wouldn't they?
sparrow
Villager

sparrow
23rd May 2016 at 12:21PM
I will not enter a yellow box, even if it allowed to do so, whilst wating at traffic lights in case Ambulance, Fire or Police need to get through a junction at high speed, if these junctions are blocked it could be the difference between life or death, so if a driver behind is honking their horn, more fool them, motorists should remember that it is better to be 10 mins late in this life that 5 mins early in the next.
<< 1 2 3 >>

Part of..