A Suburb in Stockport

10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Bits of our heritage.

JohnEllis
Citizen

JohnEllis
Bits of our heritage.
31st July 2007 at 6:50AM, Edit: 31st July 2007 at 6:51AM by JohnEllis
Up the road from us, just near the junction of the A6 with Mill Lane, there's a battered but still legible mid-Victorian cast iron milepost telling pedestrians and riders how far they are from Manchester, Buxton, and various points between.

It hasn't seen a coat of paint for many a long year, but it was stuck up there when things were built to last - I should think it'd be bomb-proof, never mind vandal-proof, though it has inexplicably lost a bit of its back. Anyone know if there are any others along the A6, or on the other older roads round here? I've not noticed any.

Given the speed of today's traffic, I know it's not a lot of practical use. But we lose bits of our heritage imperceptibly every year, and it seems a pity that a memory of a more leisured age when the fastest thing on the road to High Lane was a galloping horse should just rust away. The finger posts by the Town Hall and on the corner of Bramhall Lane, which are regularly and carefully painted, give a bit of character to the A6. Can't we treat our old milestones with the same respect?

Perhaps the councillors know whose responsibility it is to maintain them - if it's anybody's? SK Solutions recently beautifully repainted our distinctly tatty 1950s street sign - is it them? Or are they unowned and unloved? - in which case I'll happily volunteer to repaint the one near Mill Lane and make the poor battered thing posh again.

Any thoughts, Kevin?
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Quote Report  

This post has been deleted by the author.

JohnEllis
Citizen

JohnEllis
Re: Bits of our heritage.
13th August 2007 at 11:03AM
Not seen that one, Adora; I'll have a look next time I expend some of my cash in Sainsbury's - as long as they don't clamp me for spending more than 2 1/2 hours in their car park! I wonder if that one's a boundary post between Stockport and Hazel Grove: the old boundary was just north of Sainsbury's ...
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
nedsram
Townsperson

nedsram
19th August 2007 at 5:07AM
Nice to see the usual suspects over here!
JohnEllis
Citizen

JohnEllis
19th August 2007 at 7:12AM
Mmmm - I see that you've crossed over to the other side, Nedsram!
nedsram
Townsperson

nedsram
19th August 2007 at 11:03AM
Well not exactly crossed over. Just dipped a toe in the water really. :-) Curiosity and all that.
Drifter
21st August 2007 at 6:05PM
There are some great old photo's in the Rising Sun of the main road through hazel grove, you can still see where some of the older buildings are that are still standing today,I love to see what was and how things have changed.
grover
Townsperson

grover
13th September 2007 at 9:24AM, Edit: 13th September 2007 at 9:25AM by grover
Some of us just read and say nowt.   Does anyone have a photo of the old Hazel Grove Post Office which was next/near to Hunt's Butcher Shop? Another Grover here called John Daniels would like a copy of it. He is talking of the 50's Post Office.

Part of..