A Suburb in Stockport

10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Application to Pull Down Historic Grove Pub

peterdevine123 Like 0 Disike 0 Reply Quote Report Subscribe Share This Post
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn MySpace Digg
Reddit StumbleUpon Delicious Google Yahoo

7th January 2013 at 1:00PM 36 Comments 
Application to Pull Down Historic Grove Pub
AN application has been submitted to Stockport Council to demolish The Grove Inn.

The pub which was originally the Hazel Grove Inn, is thought to date back to 1790.

The application was submitted by Andrew Snape of Snape Estate Agents, Bramhall.

The application is for the demolition of the pub and the detached outbuilding.

The date to call in the application expires on January 28.

Anyone who intends to organise a petition, or would like to leave a comment/memory on here can do so, or contact peter.devine@menmedia.co.uk telephone 211 2817

<< 1 2 3 4 >>

peterdevine123
Journalist

peterdevine123
Re: Application to Pull Down Historic Grove Pub
16th January 2013 at 5:53PM
Yes, thanks, I will correct it
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Norma_Stitts
Supervised

Norma_Stitts
16th January 2013 at 10:03PM
Coleman Wrote:

You can improve the thermal property's of old buildings, but you will never get them to anywhere near the level of a modern building. And the costs can be very high for any decent improvements, bear in mind that even with a house (which is considerably smaller than this building) the cheapish and quick fix of cavity wall and loft insulation will only give a 20-30% improvement (despite some claims its more), scale up to commercial buildings and the gains are even smaller, if they are even possible! (dependent on construction).

As far as maintaining the building goes it's not like an average 50 year old home where the home owner can do a bit of DIY every now and then to keep it in order, this is an old building, a large building and a building which is build using materials which are not always easily sourced!

Repairs in these cases almost always need doing by skilled persons, and with the right materials. A trip to B&Q and a couple of weekends up a ladder won't cut it.

Agreed.

I would point out, although I noted that you mentioned depending on construction, that a 1790's building will not have a cavity wall. At best it is likely to have twin skins with a rubble infill, which was more common place in the mid/late 1800's. Cavity walls in terms of the ones that you can insulate were more of a common standard building practice from around the 1930's.

The place is an eye sore and needs pulling down, as do many buildings in that area. The only ones that look worse are the neglected vile 3 storey buildings between the Rising Sun and the car garage by the train bridge. Yuck.
glenandem
Forum Moderator

glenandem
16th January 2013 at 11:04PM
I agree Norma, those buildings are pretty darn ugly.
They should pull them down and join the land onto the back and build a tescos there, I really feel we need anouther supermarket in the grove as there's not enough choice!
And they could throw some lights up around there two maybe?
Norma_Stitts
Supervised

Norma_Stitts
17th January 2013 at 12:04AM
Only two lights? crying
HG-21
Banned
19th January 2013 at 9:20AM
Serenity Wrote:

I've never been a pub goer but I wouldn't like to see too many of our local historical buildings going the same way (through no fault of there own)

Ha, they don't have feelings.
Katie
Idler

Katie
2nd March 2013 at 10:16AM
My mother was born upstairs in the Grove Inn in 1920. Her father John Bowden was the licensee. He had taken over the pub from my Great Grandmother widow Agnes Shallcross formerly Bowden nee Hamilton.

My Great Grandfather John Thomas Bowden was Licensee of The Crescent, a little pub in Disley where my grandfather was born.   He was Licensee there from 1873 to 1890 when he died. My Great Grandmother ran The Crescent until it was decided a man should hold the license.

She left to move to the Grove Inn as a widow leaving her eldest son and daughter at The Crescent.

Unfortunately the Hazel Grove Council took the same attitude and she married John Thomas Shallcross to keep her license though he took no interest in the Grove Inn.

Two older siblings of my grandfather had a double wedding from the Grove Inn and his youngest sister Sarah Ethel Bowden married Thomas Ball whose family kept the Grapes Hotel and after marriage she and her new husband ran it.   Her husband Thomas died of TB. and she remarried like her mother to keep her license.

When my Great grandmother was dying she got my grandfather to marry their barmaid Alice who lived around the corner on Grosvenor Street as Alice was a hard worker.

My great grandmother moved in to the Grapes Hotel to be nursed by her daughter and she died there. The Grapes Hotel took in short term guests mostly business representatives and agents.

Unfortunately in the late twenties my grandfather went broke and went back into the labour market.

I have only been in the Grove Inn once years ago.   I wish I had gone more often.

I was told no one went on to the second floor as it was unsafe to do so.

Kathryn nee Baines (Katie)
<< 1 2 3 4 >>