A Suburb in Stockport

10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Application to Pull Down Historic Grove Pub

peterdevine123 Like 0 Disike 0 Reply Quote Report Subscribe Share This Post
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn MySpace Digg
Reddit StumbleUpon Delicious Google Yahoo

7th January 2013 at 1:00PM 36 Comments 
Application to Pull Down Historic Grove Pub
AN application has been submitted to Stockport Council to demolish The Grove Inn.

The pub which was originally the Hazel Grove Inn, is thought to date back to 1790.

The application was submitted by Andrew Snape of Snape Estate Agents, Bramhall.

The application is for the demolition of the pub and the detached outbuilding.

The date to call in the application expires on January 28.

Anyone who intends to organise a petition, or would like to leave a comment/memory on here can do so, or contact peter.devine@menmedia.co.uk telephone 211 2817

<< 1 2 3 4 >>

soapy_duck
Villager

soapy_duck
Re: Application to Pull Down Historic Grove Pub
15th January 2013 at 10:07AM
Serenity Wrote:

As much as new building are all very nice and offer more up to date facilities they can't bring with them a rich colourful past and the beauty that only our historical buildings can offer.

I am of the same opinion as Serenity. Unfortunately I don't have the money to be able to buy dilapidated properties and do them up, however hopefully in the future I may be able to do so. I'd love to buy a property, restore it to it's former glory (structure wise, not necessarily the same business), sell it and move onto the next project (even if I just about managed to break even on each project).

pickers Wrote:

We would never have even looked at such a project if it had been of real local interest and I am sure if any other developers felt it had the potential to refurbish in its existing form then they would have gone for it. Unfortunately the sad fact was there was little interest in the building to be left as it stands as there is no room for anymore pubs or takeaway food shops it appears on the A6.

Just out of interest, how is a building like this deemed to be of little or no interest? I'm guessing no offers for a certain length of time or something, but I don't really know. How long had that place been on the market? I guess this is all stuff I will learn if I do eventually get enough capital to start looking for places to buy and do up.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
15th January 2013 at 2:51PM, Edit: 15th January 2013 at 2:51PM by Serenity
[/QUOTE]I am of the same opinion as Serenity. Unfortunately I don't have the money to be able to buy dilapidated properties and do them up, however hopefully in the future I may be able to do so. I'd love to buy a property, restore it to it's former glory (structure wise, not necessarily the same business), sell it and move onto the next project (even if I just about managed to break even on each project).

That's what I would have liked to seen happen here. Such a shame to end its days under the bulldozer.

I still don't understand why this building was not made (because of it's age (1790)a listed building and why Robinsons weren't made to maintain such a historical building.

glenandem
Forum Moderator

glenandem
15th January 2013 at 9:06PM
Would it matter if it had been listed?
Look at the ancient woodland that's supposed to be protected and that will get plowed if the airport relief rd goes ahead!
Shame for anouther pub getting flattened but unfortunately the government don't see fit that our British heritage of pub tradition is in fitting these days with the price of a pint no smoking in pubs etc its killed them!
Allen1
Top Photographer

Allen1
15th January 2013 at 11:32PM
Only three pubs are Locally Listed Buildings The Bulls Head, The Cock Hotel and The Rising Sun. The Grove Inn and The Woodman may be older than one or two of them.
Coleman
Forum Moderator

Coleman
16th January 2013 at 8:41AM
Buildings don't get listed status automatically when they reach a certain age, they have to be historically significant i.e. because of their design or because something happened there, etc.

Unfortunately there is nothing significant or important about the Grove inn so no listed status.

Like i said if the building had anything going for it then i'd agree it would be better to save it, but its just a decaying old building, you can't save every building just because its old. For one thing we would never reach energy efficiency targets if all our buildings were 200+ years old! That's not to even mention the costs of maintaining a building of that age.

No i think in this case flattening it and building some nice new modern buildings in its place is the best thing that can happen!
soapy_duck
Villager

soapy_duck
16th January 2013 at 9:36AM
Coleman Wrote:

you can't save every building just because its old. For one thing we would never reach energy efficiency targets if all our buildings were 200+ years old! That's not to even mention the costs of maintaining a building of that age.

That's not strictly true, you can insulate buildings (in a sympathetic/discrete way) and make alterations to make it more energy efficient without making many physical/structural changes. And restorations/maintenance can be done in a cost effective way if you're prepared to put in some of the work and to source good value materials and labor.
Coleman
Forum Moderator

Coleman
16th January 2013 at 10:25AM
You can improve the thermal property's of old buildings, but you will never get them to anywhere near the level of a modern building. And the costs can be very high for any decent improvements, bear in mind that even with a house (which is considerably smaller than this building) the cheapish and quick fix of cavity wall and loft insulation will only give a 20-30% improvement (despite some claims its more), scale up to commercial buildings and the gains are even smaller, if they are even possible! (dependent on construction).

As far as maintaining the building goes it's not like an average 50 year old home where the home owner can do a bit of DIY every now and then to keep it in order, this is an old building, a large building and a building which is build using materials which are not always easily sourced!

Repairs in these cases almost always need doing by skilled persons, and with the right materials. A trip to B&Q and a couple of weekends up a ladder won't cut it.
peterdevine123
Journalist

peterdevine123
16th January 2013 at 11:25AM, Edit: 16th January 2013 at 5:56PM by peterdevine123
AN 18th Century inn in Hazel Grove is facing the bulldozers.

It follows an application which was submitted to Stockport Council to demolish The Grove Inn, opposite Asda, on the historic London Road(A6)

The pub, which was originally the Hazel Grove Inn, is thought to date back to 1790, and is believed to have closed two years ago, because of diminishing returns in the pub trade.

For more details click on the following link: Your text to link here...
exhg
Villager

exhg
16th January 2013 at 12:39PM

Spread Eagle eh, well done Peter, great journalism.
Coleman
Forum Moderator

Coleman
16th January 2013 at 4:35PM
Spread eagle?

Peter, i'm pretty sure the Grove only closed a couple of years ago (if that) and certainly not 10 years ago! Your report even mentions 2011, as well as then claiming it was closed 10 years ago.

Also having read the report it mentions that Robinsons did a deal with asda to close the grove and woodman (a claim made by some at the time), what i don't understand is why Asda would pay Robbies to close two pubs?
<< 1 2 3 4 >>