A Suburb in Stockport

10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Application to Pull Down Historic Grove Pub

peterdevine123 Like 0 Disike 0 Reply Quote Report Subscribe Share This Post
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn MySpace Digg
Reddit StumbleUpon Delicious Google Yahoo

7th January 2013 at 1:00PM 36 Comments 
Application to Pull Down Historic Grove Pub
AN application has been submitted to Stockport Council to demolish The Grove Inn.

The pub which was originally the Hazel Grove Inn, is thought to date back to 1790.

The application was submitted by Andrew Snape of Snape Estate Agents, Bramhall.

The application is for the demolition of the pub and the detached outbuilding.

The date to call in the application expires on January 28.

Anyone who intends to organise a petition, or would like to leave a comment/memory on here can do so, or contact peter.devine@menmedia.co.uk telephone 211 2817

<< 1 2 3 4 >>

Silenzi
Townsperson

Silenzi
Re: Application to Pull Down Historic Grove Pub
9th January 2013 at 12:53PM
The original proposal for demolition says

"Demolition of buildings and the erection of 3 houses, 3 retail units and 8 apartments"

0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
HG-21
Banned
10th January 2013 at 9:26PM
It's not exactly pretty is it? What would be the point in preserving it?

I'm sure people wouldnt have a problem if this thread was about top ten tires.
Coleman
Forum Moderator

Coleman
11th January 2013 at 9:04AM
I agree, if the building was a good example of some form of architecture or if it was historically significant then yeah, preserve it rather than demolish it.

But its neither, simply an eye sore, crumbling and decaying.

Tare it down and lets have something in its place, that said if they are indeed planning to build so much there, i wonder how they will make it fit, it doesn't seem like there would be enough room!
soapy_duck
Villager

soapy_duck
11th January 2013 at 9:31AM
Personally I quite like history and stories about places, that's why I think it's a shame to demolish it. I don't have a "problem with it" as HG-21 puts it, I'm not that fussed don't worry... I'm not going to chain myself to it or anything to stop the bulldozers. I can clearly see the building is looking a little worse for wear, but I think it has potential to be done up and look lovely. Perhaps that's just the romantic in me, I can see the potential in all buildings. I'd say the same about top ten tyres (which in my opinion looks a lot worse than the Grove Inn), and I even think it would be nice to do something with the closed down public loos on Short Street (by the old sorting office) - ideally reopen them as public loos because there is a distinct lack of these in Hazel Grove.

I agree with Coleman that the site seems a little small for 3 houses, 3 retail units and 8 apartments, but if that's what's been submitted then I guess it's been measured out for that.
1 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
pickers
Villager

pickers
14th January 2013 at 8:54AM, Edit: 14th January 2013 at 8:54AM by pickers
Dear All.

As I spend a lot of time reading this forum without posting very much, I felt this was possible a thread which I should comment on. My name is Richard Pickford and I am one of the company Directors at Snapes BUT more importantly the Branch Manager at Hazel Grove and a Hazel Grove resident, so I have real interest in this project.

We (Snapes) have indeed purchased the building and intend to demolish The Grove Inn. We appreciated as a company this may have some negative feedback as we know the property dates back someway. However having inspected the property externally and internally, we came to the decision that in our opinion the building was not of enough interest to warrant trying to convert into what we would like to achieve. I am sure most would agree it is not nearly as nice as the pubs which were put on the heritage list and perhaps this one being left off, was no accident.

There are a few existing “original” features, as I am sure anyone who ever drank in the pub knew, however it had been decaying and getting worse and worse even when trading. At present the building is getting no better and local residents and business owners have told us how this site has fast become a drinking and drugs meeting place for some. We would never have even looked at such a project if it had been of real local interest and I am sure if any other developers felt it had the potential to refurbish in its existing form then they would have gone for it. Unfortunately the sad fact was there was little interest in the building to be left as it stands as there is no room for anymore pubs or takeaway food shops it appears on the A6.

We felt that perhaps the site and the A6 may benefit from some “new buildings” whilst I appreciate many people are concerned about the increase in traffic on the A6 and the fact we are demolishing an “old” building, we felt the small increase in traffic it may bring from new residents and business owners may well have the counter effect of more money being spent in our local shops and further more the dilapidated building turned in to something slightly more pleasing to look at.

I am happy to answer any questions from local residents about our plans, which are all available to be seen on the SMBC planning website and finally we are sorry to those who may feel “bulldozing” is not the way forward, however cost implications mean this building in our opinion will be left exactly how it is for many more years to come if redevelopment is not allowed.

Regards

Richard Pickford (on behalf of Snapes Estate Agents)
Adora
Forum Moderator

Adora
14th January 2013 at 9:03AM

Thank you Richard and welcome. x
pickers
Villager

pickers
14th January 2013 at 10:40AM
Hi Adora, Hi and thank you to you too.
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
14th January 2013 at 10:56AM
Hi Richard thank you for you're comments and for taking the time to let us know what Snapes intentions are for this piece of land.

Please don't take this personally Richard but it seems such a shame when a building dating back to the 1790's can be just left to go to rack and ruin and then pulled down as a result.
What's to stop this happening to every histical building in the Grove. Take for instance the Woodman (built 1870) which is presently bored up. What if this buillding is just being left to decay inside also waiting for the bulldozers to move in.

I thought all our old historical buildings where listed and as such had some sort of protection from this happening. Which public houses in the Grove are listed buildings, do we know. I've never been a pub goer but I wouldn't like to see too many of our local historical buildings going the same way (through no fault of there own)

I feel that these buildings are such a large part of the Grove's history and give the Grove charactor and as such should be maintained and protected and not just bulldozed down when they are not seen to be fit for purpose.

As much as new building are all very nice and offer more up to date facilities they can't bring with them a rich colourful past and the beauty that only our historical buildings can offer.

slim
Townsperson

slim
14th January 2013 at 12:33PM
Do the residents of the grove a favour Richard knock it down its an eye sore allowed to get in that state by Robinsons .
yetty
Villager

yetty
14th January 2013 at 5:41PM
I must agree about the state of the grove pub,it was in a very dilapidated state for a long time before it closed and it's probably only fit for bulldozing.The Woodman will be a different kettle of fish as it was extended and refurbished not too many years ago,not just a cosmetic tart up like other pub companies did but virtually rebuilt.
<< 1 2 3 4 >>