A Suburb in Stockport

10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Application to Pull Down Historic Grove Pub

peterdevine123 Like 0 Disike 0 Reply Quote Report Subscribe Share This Post
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn MySpace Digg
Reddit StumbleUpon Delicious Google Yahoo

7th January 2013 at 1:00PM 36 Comments 
Application to Pull Down Historic Grove Pub
AN application has been submitted to Stockport Council to demolish The Grove Inn.

The pub which was originally the Hazel Grove Inn, is thought to date back to 1790.

The application was submitted by Andrew Snape of Snape Estate Agents, Bramhall.

The application is for the demolition of the pub and the detached outbuilding.

The date to call in the application expires on January 28.

Anyone who intends to organise a petition, or would like to leave a comment/memory on here can do so, or contact peter.devine@menmedia.co.uk telephone 211 2817

<< 1 2 3 4 >>

glenandem
Forum Moderator

glenandem
Re: Application to Pull Down Historic Grove Pub
7th January 2013 at 7:02PM
shame but do feel we need a tesco's,chav bar or anouther curry house in the grove with anouther set of lights maybe, its just a sign of the times im afraid as the government tries theyre best to do away with the englishmans pub!
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
glenandem
Forum Moderator

glenandem
7th January 2013 at 7:23PM
just thinking about it, didnt the grove have a world record of most pubs in a mile?
maybe theyre going for most traffic lights in a mile now confused
natbags
Villager

natbags
7th January 2013 at 8:15PM
great,yet another dose of bulldozing to disturb my day,and no doubt another dose of traffic congestion to disrupt my journey to work,cant wait! maybe they could bung another nightclub there to add to the many disturbences in the night just to top it off.
Coleman
Forum Moderator

Coleman
8th January 2013 at 9:24AM
Would people rather it be left to crumble?

It was a dump when it was an operating pub, there is no way it will ever re-open as a pub so why not flatten it and build something new?

I would be interested to know what the plans are for it though? and for that matter what the fate of the woodman will be?
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
8th January 2013 at 12:34PM
Does anyone have any idea why Andrew Snape has put in for the pub to be demolished.
Have they an invested interest or something.

I suppose it will be for more commercial usage. They'll have to be careful though what they intend as that part of the A6 is already so congested anymore traffic spilling out on to it wouldn't be good idea. Never stopped them before though....

I feel sorry for Mount Pleasant if the powers to be think that this road can stand anymore traffic on it they are sadly mistaken. It full to busting as it is ..what with hospital staff parking up all day and being a throughfare for Goodwins Heavy goods vehicles.

soapy_duck
Villager

soapy_duck
8th January 2013 at 1:38PM
Is the building beyond repair? Seems a shame not to preserve an old building if it could be repaired and reopened with a new purpose. I guess it all comes down to money, probably cheaper to knock it down and replace it.

I wonder if Snapes are planning on building a new office there?
Prodigal
Townsperson

Prodigal
8th January 2013 at 2:34PM
I had a relative who had insider knowledge of how the Robinson family works, if they thought The Grove, or The Woodman for that matter, could turn a profit, The Grove would have had a refit well before it fell into such a sorry state, as it stands it is nothing but an eyesore. The Robinsons are well known, throughout the brewery,for their frugal and teetotal approach to business, that's how they've done so well in such a competitive business
Norma_Stitts
Supervised

Norma_Stitts
8th January 2013 at 5:14PM
It sold for £80k in February last year;

Lot 54.

http://www.pugh-auctions.com/Auction/Manchester/20120222

There isn't enough trade to support all the pubs as it is and by virtue of the fact it looks like a watering hole and where it is I couldn't see people fighting over wanting some other use for it.
Prodigal
Townsperson

Prodigal
8th January 2013 at 7:35PM
Norma_Stitts Wrote:

Lot 54.

There isn't enough trade to support all the pubs as it is and by virtue of the fact it looks like a watering hole and where it is I couldn't see people fighting over wanting some other use for it.

Obviously Robinsons carried out an assessment of the triangle of pubs, The Anchor, The Woodman and The Grove, The Anchor came out on top so the other two went to the wall, as the saying goes, "it's just business" .
Norma_Stitts
Supervised

Norma_Stitts
8th January 2013 at 9:56PM
Prodigal Wrote:

Norma_Stitts Wrote:

Lot 54.

Obviously Robinsons carried out an assessment of the triangle of pubs, The Anchor, The Woodman and The Grove, The Anchor came out on top so the other two went to the wall, as the saying goes, "it's just business" .

Anyone that ever went in the place could have done that assessment. I went in there about 10 years ago as part of a pub crawl. I wiped my feet as I left.
<< 1 2 3 4 >>