10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Anchor/Woodman being pulled down ?

<< 1 2 3 4 5 >>

Insomniac
Villager

Insomniac
Anchor/Woodman being pulled down ?
5th January 2011 at 12:33PM
Has anyone else heard the rumour about the Anchor and the Woodman being pulled down as Robinsons have sold them on to Asda ? Just wondered if there is any truth in the story at all.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Quote Report  
staysin
Drifter
Re: Anchor/Woodman being pulled down ?
5th January 2011 at 2:33PM
We have heard that to, we heard about it a few months ago. Also heard that the guy that has the sun is selling.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
me
Drifter
5th January 2011 at 3:17PM
Apparently Asda have also bought out SFC and the gospel church. According to another friend anyway.
Drifter
6th January 2011 at 12:50AM
For what purpose are these new proposals being considered? Why do ASDA now want to knock down a community church that has served the needs of the community for over 30 years? Is the reason,so that ASDA can be allowed to develop even more car parking spaces for their customers? Is this the basis for ASDA looking to purchase these properties?

Surely ASDA is not really considering knocking down a community church that plays such a vital part in improving the lives of the residents who live in Hazel Grove, is nothing sacred to these inconsiderate companies?

I feel that our councillors on behalf of the community of Hazel Grove should make ASDA aware that itís a community (with community needs)that need to be addressed first before allowing just another money making development project.

Iím not sure how ASDA are even being considered by the council to be allowed further planning permission in view of the way that the ASDA development has progressed (or not)so far, which has resulted in appalling daily delays, disruptions and chaos,not just to the A6 but to the local residents as well.

As a local resident we were informed nearly a year ago that this development was approved with the understanding that it would make the adjacent area quieter with less traffic and noise. Well so far the opposite has happened to the point where the adjacent roads are now in constant turmoil.

I for one feel that ASDA has caused enough mindless chaos to Hazel Grove and the thought of ASDA being allowed to continue to create even more daily stress to the lives of the residents of Hazel Grove appals me.

I do hope for the sake of the community that these rumours turn out to be unfounded.I feel without a doubt that the Grove needs to keep a church that brings about daily activities that work to improve the lives of residents of all ages, before allowing ASDA to go ahead and thoughtlessly continue to development this site into what - just a bigger car park.

How sad to lose a community church just to gain a few more car parking spaces, seems like a very sad swop to me.
deano
Drifter
6th January 2011 at 4:53AM
i really would not loose any sleep if both of them pubs are knocked down!
Coleman
Forum Moderator

Coleman
6th January 2011 at 5:27AM
I'm fairly confident these are nothing more then rumours, for one the lease for the Woodman is still available and if the pub itself had been sold then Robinson's couldn't still be offering the lease for it!

They would be of no use to Asda either as if Asda had purchased all these premises the carpark they could build (can't think of any other good use for the land freed up) would be massive for a store which is tiny! It doesn't make sense.

On top of that if they had been sold then non of them would be open as there is no way a company like Asda would run them for any amount of time let alone the months or years it would take before they were in a position to do anything with them!
Tyrawhitt
Townsperson

Tyrawhitt
6th January 2011 at 5:45AM
If it were taken over by Asda then maybe the intent is not car parking but a fuel station. It's the one missing advantage amongst the stores in Hazel Grove at present.
kellygon2
Townsperson

kellygon2
6th January 2011 at 8:10AM
Quite agree with all the comments made.The extra space
gained by selling the two pubs - and,as rumour still suggests,the church - would be far too large a parking area for a store the size of Asda. Also relevant is the lease on the pub.
Hopefully these ARE just rumours and will die away as quickly as they appeared.
Drifter
6th January 2011 at 5:39PM
They are not rumours,asda have plans for a 5 million pound development including the church, sfc, the anchor and the woodman(which closes its doors on the 10th for the last time)
seymourbutts
Townsperson

seymourbutts
6th January 2011 at 10:31PM
Guest Wrote:

They are not rumours,asda have plans for a 5 million pound development including the church, sfc, the anchor and the woodman(which closes its doors on the 10th for the last time)

The Woodman has always been by far the worst pub in Hazel Grove, so much so, then when we used to do regular pub crawls, we used to miss it out ! No sleep lost if it's pulled down.

I always hold fond memories of The Anchor. It was one of the very few pubs that used to serve us when we were 16 years old. The must've known we were well underage, but we kept ourselves to ourselves and I think we got served on that basis. I've not been in The Anchor for a long time now, but it will be a sad day for me if it is demolished to make way for a fuel station or car park.
Debbieh
Drifter
7th January 2011 at 4:13AM
Its a shame that it is probably more viable to sell the propertys as no one drinking in the pubs anymore due to the cost of a pint more than anything... both buildings steeped in history and part of the Grove for 100s of years.
I was upset when I saw that they had knocked down the Acton Court which was once a wonderful busy hotel... probably to build flats!!!!!

Sad Times
<< 1 2 3 4 5 >>