10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

Albion Mills, Hazel Grove

<< 1 2 3 4 >>

jbar89
Idler

jbar89
Re: Albion Mills, Hazel Grove
8th January 2016 at 6:21PM
Hi elephant, Frank's grandson here. Afraid Betty passed away in November too.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Sevenmilesout
Townsperson

Sevenmilesout
10th January 2016 at 3:58PM
I remember the mill very well. I must have walked past it hundreds of times.

What a great shame it was demolished. Perhaps these days a more sensible approach would have been to convert it to affordable apartments and preserve it's heritage.
25th January 2016 at 9:33AM
Just thought I would let you know that the iconic Stott Steam engine from the Albion Mill will be running at the Anson Engine Museum, Poynton on 1/2 May and 28/29 August 2016.
It is the result of a 27 year restoration programme and well worth the visit.
Plus lots more to see including local history displays.
1 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
elephant
Villager

elephant
28th January 2016 at 5:17PM
Reply to to JBAR89   So sorry to hear about Aunty Betty. She was a lovely lady. I always remember how beautiful she was, Is Franks sister Muriel still alive. She was the oldest of the four cousins.
Since Ada went in a home I have found a few pictures of Frank, Stanley, Muriel and Aunty Ada when they were children.
There is also one of them with Great Grandad A and Great Gran Sarah.
elephant
Villager

elephant
28th January 2016 at 5:23PM
Thanks for info about Stotts engine. Have been meaning to go to see it for a while now. Will definitly try to go.
I am also very interested in the bike i believe was found under it. I wonder if there is any significance to it as
A. Bartons father had a bike shop in Salford wwhere I believe he was born.
28th January 2016 at 7:12PM
I sent details and a photograph to the National Cycle Museum and they said it was one of the a very earliest cycles to have pneumatic tyres which dated it to the 1890s. Their report is there to read if you do visit the museum. Your theory about it having possible connections with the family seems quite likely.
jbar89
Idler

jbar89
29th January 2016 at 9:20AM
Hi Elephant,

Thanks for your reply.

Muriel is still alive - she's in Cumbria, near the borders.

It was very sad about Betty, she was lovely and yes many people at the funeral commented on her glamour!

jbar89
Idler

jbar89
29th January 2016 at 9:22AM
Also, I was unaware that Abijah's father had a bike shop! Do you have any more information about this? Abijah was always as far back as I managed to get in researching the family history.
elephant
Villager

elephant
10th February 2016 at 9:48PM
Hi Franks grandson. At franks funeral I Gave Peters wife my contact details,Phone numberetc.
My dad told me about the bike connection. he semed to have the most acurate info i have. Sarah and A lived on chester Road next to what we called the black and white shop. I have items relating back to him, Contact me if you can

hg16
Newcomer

hg16
26th March 2016 at 11:17PM
Hi everyone, this thread is all so interesting. I saw the photo Scott put up on the first page of the mill and I was interested to find out about its history. Yes I have heard others say that it has been placed where the 'new' houses are on Grosvenor Street behind the old Grove Inn pub, but it is interesting to hear that it is off Pownall Street. Does anyone know what used to be where the new houses are off Grosvenor Street behind where the old Grove Inn pub used to be? Also, does anyone know what is happening with the site of the old Grove Inn as it seems to have been up for sale for a while. I know it's got planning permission for apartments so I hope they sell the land soon and start developing it!
<< 1 2 3 4 >>

Part of..