Albion Mills, Hazel Grove

<< 1 2 3 4 >>

Scott
CiviCr

Scott
Albion Mills, Hazel Grove
9th January 2013 at 6:27PM

(Click photo to enlarge)

On my travels of the internet today I stumbled across this picture which looked very familiar to me and I would like to ask if any members remember this and can confirm my suspicions.

The photo is dated 1983 (a little before my time) and looks to me like Commercial Road. I see this with the car park to the left a long with Kwik Saves (now an Aldi), Iceland (now Marks and Spencers) straight ahead and the other car park to the right of the photographer. I remember the odd shaped recycling containers in the car park, I just don't remember ever seeing a mill.

However the geo-location for the photo puts this photo where the 'new' houses are behind the Grove In on Grosvenor Street (see map). To me it just does not fit there.

So the question is, does anybody remember this mill and its location?
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
slim
Townsperson

slim
Re: Albion Mills, Hazel Grove
9th January 2013 at 6:34PM
It's at the top of commercial road where aldi and pipes is baryons used to be in the mill and at some time there was a coal yard as well.
slim
Townsperson

slim
9th January 2013 at 6:36PM
It's baryons not baryons the smart phone keeps correcting me its a smart*ss phone.
slim
Townsperson

slim
9th January 2013 at 6:38PM
It's done it again its bartons
elephant
Villager

elephant
10th November 2013 at 7:25PM
The mill was called Albian Mill it was on Pownall Street off Commercial Road, now the entrance to Aldi.
the company was A.Barton and Sons they manufactured cotton wool and surgical dressing in later years, before that cotton wadding. Prior to this it was a hat factory.
I welcome any knowledge any one has and can maybe fill in gaps for others. i will answer specific questions where i can.
It holds many memories for me as I spent my holidays working there while at school and university.
A. Barton was my great grandfather, the sons were my grandfather and great uncles. My father and great uncle
continued the business until it closed and land sold. I can furnish details of this.
tarboat
Villager

tarboat
13th March 2014 at 7:51AM, Edit: 13th March 2014 at 7:53AM by tarboat
The steam engine from Barton's Mill is at the Anson Museum in Poynton.

Here is a wadding label from the business.

elephant
Villager

elephant
8th July 2014 at 8:10PM
memories    A barton was my great grandfather.
i have this same label also several boxes of their last production of cotton wool. still use it. my 7 month old grandson uses it. the memories are very precious now as my dad stanley Barton died on march 4 this year aged 88. Now the only remaining Bartons are Uncle frank 93 and his 2 sons Peter and paul. I still regard myself as a Barton as does dads sister Ada who is 91
tarboat
Villager

tarboat
9th July 2014 at 3:13PM, Edit: 9th July 2014 at 3:23PM by tarboat
Here are a couple of images from March 1984.

elephant
Villager

elephant
9th July 2014 at 3:39PM
These are of the card room arent they? Thats where Uncle frank(boss) and Uncle Arthur(despite what he used to tell people he was only an employee not the boss).
how did you get the pictures I have none of the interior, only exterior.Wish Id taken some when it closed.Did you work there or are they after it closed. just interested.I spent all my school and uni holidays working in dads part (Stanley),crimping cutting and packing. It was a standard pay + piece work. I worked out a way to pack very quickly and also crimp.
Dad couldnt understand how i could do so many. i could do half as many again as his best girl Ros. I remember he spent a whole day watching and checking i think he didnt trust me, but i devised a way of packing without openig the bags first.It was such a boring job i used to time myself how many i could do in a minute and try to beat myself.
Happy days,i used to love working with dad and we spent a lot of time together on the farm and with the horses and really missed him when he went to live in Wales.Somehow it eased it though when he died in March as i had got used to not seeing him very often. Suppose this is what is making me nostalgic and think about the past. thanks for photos.
tarboat
Villager

tarboat
10th July 2014 at 7:39AM
Thanks for your reminiscences of working at the mill, this is very interesting. I was there after closure when Les Cawley was removing the mill engine to the Anson Museum. The photos are dated 26th March 1984.

Here are a couple more.

<< 1 2 3 4 >>

Part of..