10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

A6 traffic congestion.

<< 1 2 >>

Dottee2014
Idler

Dottee2014
A6 traffic congestion.
11th August 2014 at 12:46PM, Edit: 12th August 2014 at 4:28AM by Dottee2014
What can be done to stop allowing Stockport Car Supermarket using one lane for parking vehicles outside their LARGE premises on a daily basis and creating traffic congestion as two lanes become one after the lights at Stepping Hill Hospital.

46,000 vehicle travel down the A6 every day, going past schools, care homes, creating congestion and pollution. These were the words of Councillor Goddard in 2012.

In 2012 I raised this subject with Councillor Hogg who advised me that the council had discussed this matter previously at meetings and he would raise it again at the next joint council meeting. He did not have the courtesy to reply.

2014 nothing has been done. We now have larger overseas vehicles, M&S, Asda, Aldi and Sainsbury delivery vehicles using the A6 on a daily basis. Heading towards Stockport sometimes in convoy along this now ONE LANE making crossing over the lights at Stepping Hill impossible while they make this manoeuvre.

Can anyone explain why I had to mount the footpath with my car to allow an ambulance with flashing lights on it's way to an emergency yet Stockport Car Supermarket can take one lane which tax payers pay for as personal parking. If they do not have enough space to park their vehicles on their premises maybe they should keep a closer look at their purchasing.

0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Coleman
Forum Moderator

Coleman
Re: A6 traffic congestion.
11th August 2014 at 4:00PM
I feel your pain, i really do.

I work just of Bramhall moor lane and currently live just the other side of the two large car supermarkets so have to deal with them multiple times a day!

I admit i am amazed that the council have spent a load of money creating parking bays and improving pavements through great moor but didn't stretch to the few extra quid it would have cost to stick some double yellows along the rest of the road!

It's almost like they don't want to improve the traffic flow, i'm hard pressed to think of any other part of the A6 through Stockport where significant parts of the road are allowed to be partially blocked by parked cars. And i know that the council will probably say 'there are single yellows restricting parking at rush hours' but firstly the a6 is busy from early right through until late every day, not just at rush hours. And second, i can tell you from experience that although they usually do, quite often they don't have the cars moved off the A6 until well into rush hour!
1 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
glenandem
Forum Moderator

glenandem
11th August 2014 at 6:01PM
Surely if the council has had enough official complaints shouldn't they have to do something?
I agree it blocks traffic and sometimes it's not just the car supermarket as there's usually a few just ahead too outside Canadian.
I don't think that's the main issue through the grove though as traffic flows when you get past sainsburys in Stockport direction untill you get car supermarket so there's something else not right or the grove side and I think it's basically just traffic lights stop start along with the right turn onto commercial and the sainsburys lane backing up!
Nothing will ever be done or probably can't be done, the council know they messed up with sainsburys but will never admit it and only thing that could help would be building supermarkets in other towns like marple so traffic gets spread and people stay in they're own towns shopping and also a full bypass would make the biggest impact but that will 100% never happen due to costs!
slim
Townsperson

slim
11th August 2014 at 6:20PM
Wash your mouth out glenandem another supermarket built in marple ?
glenandem
Forum Moderator

glenandem
11th August 2014 at 9:40PM
Lol I actually ventured into marple the other day to Iceland and it's actually not that nice of a place, big council estates too so not sure why a lot of people think it's such a nice place that would be desicrated if it had a supermarket built there, from what I've been told a lot of people actually wanted it as there's not much in the way of a decent supermarket as you got Iceland or co op which Is overpriced!
In my mind surely it would help to have other big supermarkets in other towns to stop so many flooding into the grove, just look how busy asda or sainsburys is 7 days a week.
I'm not saying there isn't enough supermarkets as we all know they're dotted everywhere but past the grove up high lane marple or poynton you don't really have much in sainsburys size so sure they gonna head this way.
Anyway I keep going on about bloomin supermarkets,don't want to sidetrack this post!!!
Peregrine
Villager

Peregrine
11th August 2014 at 9:44PM
On from 'build another supermarket in Marple' to cut down traffic on A6 - REALLY? Just a question as to whether ASDA have got their wish to have a supermarket in Marple, in a roundabout way, by taking over the COOP supermarket?.
robertstewart
Villager

robertstewart
18th August 2014 at 8:01AM
the car market are usung the a6 lane as an extension to their business forecourt causing havec. the answer is simple for the highways agency to put double yellow lines down and enforce them.
Coleman
Forum Moderator

Coleman
18th August 2014 at 12:23PM
Exactly, but i assume the fact the double yellows turn to singles in front of the two car supermarkets is the council 'working with local businesses' i.e. letting them use some public space to display cars, which could actually be a step in the right direction for a council that normally hinder local businesses, were it not for the fact that their 'helping' is resulting in a partial blockage of one of the busiest roads in the country.
Dottee2014
Idler

Dottee2014
18th August 2014 at 12:29PM
Re Stockport Car Market parking cars which ARE FOR SALE on the A6.
Ask The Police answer to Q559 Can I sell my car on the road? This is their reply:
An offence is committed if two or more cars for sale are left on a road within 500m of each other by a person acting for the purpose of a business of selling motor vehicles. This offence is aimed at certain garages and businesses that sell cars and park them for long periods of time on a road that can cause a nuisance to local residents.
Dottee2014
Idler

Dottee2014
18th August 2014 at 12:35PM
How can a public space be used for a personal/private use?
I have quoted a new post from Your policing questions answered Q 559. Please read their reply. This does not make sense to me.
<< 1 2 >>

Part of..

Tagged With..