Hazel Grove News

A Suburb in Stockport

10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

A question on new a6 section for cllr’s!

glenandem
Forum Moderator

glenandem
A question on new a6 section for cllr’s!
29th January 2016 at 8:25AM
Was just looking at the design of the new a6 section and it has non pedestrianised signal lights near norbury rail crossing and was wondering why they haven't made them pedestrianised if they're bothering to put lights in, there doesn't appear to be any close safe crossing points nearby and as my daughter currently doesn't have to cross the rd to go to the farm but will have to when they divert the a6 and I know other people cross the a6 daily in fact somone got knocked over here just a week ago but wasn't badly injured thankfully, then I have to ask why not make them pedestrian if your going to put some traffic lights in, we all know and hate the amount of traffic lights on the a6 but if they're doing them seems silly not to have a safe passing rather than dodge a busy a6?
Could any cllr's in the know explain why this hasn't been included?
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
Re: A question on new a6 section for cllr
29th January 2016 at 1:07PM, Edit: 29th January 2016 at 1:07PM by OliverJohnstone
Thanks for raising this.

I was at a briefing session for all Councillors on Wednesday on the A6MARR progress - Julian was unfortunately double-booked with another meeting so I agreed to raise any points that he wanted addressing.

Cllr Hogg didn't attend but I am not aware as to why he was absent.

We looked specifically at the new section which as you say is crossed by the railway but we did not get drawn on the point you have raised. I will speak to the lead officer and address your query with them.

I'll keep you posted.

glenandem
Forum Moderator

glenandem
29th January 2016 at 2:00PM
Thanks Oliver it's not actually the part that crosses the railway, more the part where you come up from the railway crossing at norbury and then you can turn left or right on the new section of a6 at the traffic lights and those are the lights I'm referring too!
Goggins
29th January 2016 at 10:20PM
Extremely low pedestrian traffic? It would be difficult to justify the cost. If you're travelling along the A6 corridor you'd walk along the (soon to be) old road.
glenandem
Forum Moderator

glenandem
30th January 2016 at 8:19AM
You'd think so wouldn't you but living on this part of the A6 there's probably just as many if not more than where they put a pedestrian crossing near the turning for hazel grove golf club as there's plenty of walkers every day then a fair few people who work at the dairy farm and people who use the bus stop which will still be in use when the new section of a6 goes in and then people crossing the a6 with horses every day having to stop traffic in the middle of the rd!!
Surely it can't cost much more to make them pedestrianised if they're already going to install traffic lights thst are non pedestrianised??
Goggins
30th January 2016 at 6:18PM, Edit: 30th January 2016 at 6:19PM by Goggins
They should still be able to access public rights of way from the existing A6; none of them is cut in half by the new road. http://a6marr.stockport.gov.uk/746597/809708/809751/810268
glenandem
Forum Moderator

glenandem
31st January 2016 at 8:10AM
Yes but they have to cross the busy a6 to get to the public rights of way on Poynton side so snother reason why those traffic lights they're already installing can't be pedestrianised?

Part of..