10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

A few more shops to remember

<< 1 2 3 >>

RichT
Townsperson

RichT
Re: A few more shops to remember
9th February 2015 at 6:37PM
I remember the petrol station (APEX) at the end of Neville Street.
Which end was the cake shop at?
1 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Sevenmilesout
Townsperson

Sevenmilesout
10th February 2015 at 10:33AM, Edit: 10th February 2015 at 10:33AM by Sevenmilesout
Yes Rich, I remember Apex too.

I think there was another garage next to it, called BB Mills. Also on the corner of Neville Street, there was also an old garage run by a nice old guy, when I was kid. I can't remember his name, but he welded my bike up (for nothing). There aren't many people like him these days.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
cooper120
Villager

cooper120
10th February 2015 at 12:47PM
When was the last time you needed a push bike welding?

What did the pub used to be on school street, or what used to be school street where McDonalds is?
Next to the Esso petrol station...
vulcanman
Townsperson

vulcanman
10th February 2015 at 12:59PM
The Red Lion
Sevenmilesout
Townsperson

Sevenmilesout
10th February 2015 at 1:09PM, Edit: 10th February 2015 at 1:57PM by Sevenmilesout
cooper120 Wrote:

When was the last time you needed a push bike welding?

What did the pub used to be on school street, or what used to be school street where McDonalds is?
Next to the Esso petrol station...

Push bike........ When I was a kid.

I don't recall a pub on School Street. On the corner of School Street was a motorbike shop, Warburtons??, then a funeral parlour, then the Red Lion.(later Bees Knees) The Red Lion was an old coaching inn and when I was young, the landlord was a guy called Ted Hunt. It had a large forecourt on the A6 and a bowling green at the back. I think it was the first Hazel Grove pub, I had a jar, in. It was one place in the Grove that should never have been demolished...too much history.
2Tony
Villager

2Tony
11th February 2015 at 11:35AM
Quote "Russells ( I think it was called) corner shop - on the corner of Neville street" --- Behind the old Coop (Car park / delivery yard entrance )
What a fantastic memory, thank you. That's where us school kits were charged 5p over the odds per can off Boddintons Bitter In 1981/82. I used to get 6 every Friday evening drink 3 on the wreck, drink 1 on way to HGHS, finish the other 2 behind the youth club, then try to get in past Shelly on the door. Happy days.
BlueGrover
Forum Moderator

BlueGrover
11th February 2015 at 12:46PM
2Tony Wrote:

Quote "Russells ( I think it was called) corner shop - on the corner of Neville street" --- Behind the old Coop (Car park / delivery yard entrance )
What a fantastic memory, thank you. That's where us school kits were charged 5p over the odds per can off Boddintons Bitter In 1981/82. I used to get 6 every Friday evening drink 3 on the wreck, drink 1 on way to HGHS, finish the other 2 behind the youth club, then try to get in past Shelly on the door. Happy days.
Nothing changes Bud!!!
Sevenmilesout
Townsperson

Sevenmilesout
11th February 2015 at 5:43PM, Edit: 11th February 2015 at 5:43PM by Sevenmilesout
Anyone have any memories of the Fiveways Disco? Spent many nights there. It was only a juke box.....but we had loads of laughs.

I can remember Big Tony Vesey? on the door, with another ok guy. In the pub, I can remember, Harold, the barman.....only because he was a bit "difficult" with the young guys. Caught up with him 20 years later at a gig, I think at the British Legion in Poynton. We had a good laugh talking about when he used to "ban" people from the Fiveways on a whim....some things never change.
exhg
Villager

exhg
11th February 2015 at 10:36PM
2Tony Wrote:

Great post and very reminiscent, although it was party sevens for us circa mid 70's, we had to get past Shelly too, she was a good sort to put up with all the grief she got from the youth of the day. She did have big Bill the martial arts fella to back her up, he was a good bloke, used to take us to City away games in the club minibus, saved us from a proper good hiding at Newcastle once, he was a big unit but still a very brave man, great days indeed.

Someone asked what did Massey's sell on the corner of Brook Street, it was a grocers, food, cigs, bit of everything as I recall, I used to get 2 No6 in a paper bag with a couple of matches from there on my way to school. Think it closed when the old boy passed away.

I know it wasn't a shop but who remembers the Iron Cow?

Dialstone
Villager

Dialstone
12th February 2015 at 3:29PM, Edit: 12th February 2015 at 4:04PM by Dialstone
Black Cat cafe at the Rising Sun was called Grundy's before that. Used to cycle up to torky Park, lark around on rope swing across the river (stream?) and then buy a cream cake from Grundy's.

From what I've seen on the odd recent visit, you would take your life in your hands cycling from Dialstone Lane to the Rising Sun frown
<< 1 2 3 >>

Part of..