Hazel Grove News

A Suburb in Stockport

10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

£60 Peel Centre parking fine...

This Thread is Locked

This Thread has been locked by a forum moderator.

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12 13 >>

sparrow
Villager

sparrow
Re: £60 Peel Centre parking fine...
7th February 2014 at 8:44PM
This makes me so mad. I too had an invitation to part with £60 from excel parking last june (its not a fine. Only council or police can fine), i ignored all letters after reading many, many posts on the internet, but still they kept writing to me (i did pay for parking and did not stay over time) the amounts excel demanded changed with every letter so in the end i got fed up. So i wrote to argos and hobbycraft where i had shopped, also providing them with a copy of the ticket i had purchased, argos didnt want to know but hobbycraft contacted excel to cancel ticket, excel since written to me to say its cancelled. They are cowboys and chancers. I will never park at the peel center again. No wonder stockort is dying on its feet when companies like this get away with scams. Please no one pay. Complain to the shops and lets hope things change.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
sparrow
Villager

sparrow
27th March 2014 at 4:33PM
I see the parking scammers Excel Parking have been at it again (see stockport times article), i refuse to park at peel center (after them issuing a false ticket and me having to endure months of them threatening to take me to court, until they realised i would like them to take me to a small claims court where i would have won as i had purchased a ticket and didn't overstay ) these companies are scum and cowboys. With parking companies like these around its No wonder stockport is on its knees,
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
RunningWalker
Villager

RunningWalker
3rd April 2014 at 12:59PM
For good advice and a wealth of information concerning how to deal with car parking fines from private car park operating companies, please go to:   http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showforum=60 and for examples of successful cases where the driver has appealed and won against the car park operator (and there are many of them) go here: http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showforum=17

For my own experience and successful appeal against an unwarranted invoice from Excel Parking at the Peel Centre for £60.00 in 2013 (for it is no more than an invoice to pay – it is neither a fine nor a penalty), then please go to:
http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=87375

As you will see, the invoice for £60.00 was as the result of incorrect digits entered into the parking meter. The correct parking fee was paid at the time and the parking stay was not exceeded. The appeal was eventually heard and upheld by POPLA (Parking on Private Land Appeals), the thrust of the defense being that the parking charge was punitive (by this stage it had risen to £100.00) and that it did not represent a genuine pre-estimate of liquidated damages and was therefore an unlawful charge.
This is the second successful appeal I have made against separate car park operating companies (the first one for over-staying my welcome at Aldi, Macclesfield), so my advice would be to always play the game, appeal in a reasoned and rational way if you believe you have a case, and do not be panicked into paying excessive charges.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Mozza
Townsperson

Mozza
3rd April 2014 at 1:06PM
That's a really helpful response.

To me, it also validates the ignoring tactic.
If you can argue to POPLA that it's a disproportionate and punitive fee, then you could argue that with a small claims court too.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
sparrow
Villager

sparrow
3rd April 2014 at 3:28PM
The problem is not enough people know about private car park companies and how to appeal, they get scared by the threatening language used and false claims that it is a real penalty fine. I hate them and really try not to park where i see their signs.I also would encourage anyone who gets a pcn to write to the shop where the car park is, they can/will/should contact excel and the pcn is then cancelled.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
samay007
Villager

samay007
3rd April 2014 at 4:58PM
Today I had a call from 01932332038 regarding Peel Center over stay parking fine that happened in November 2013 and she asked me to pay the fine of £150 pounds. She was calling from a company called Roxburghe (UK) Limited, a debt collector working for Excel parking services.

How the hell they got my land line number? I told her that it DID NOT HAPPEN and DID NOT receive any thing on the post, I'm not going to pay just like that. Can they collect the money over the phone? will it not go to the small claims court to appeal? need all your advice please....
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
sparrow
Villager

sparrow
3rd April 2014 at 6:29PM
Excel sell the 'debt' to roxburghe who then will harrass and send letters threatening court action. This will not happen. You need to read the pepipoo websites, money saving expert sites and write to the shops near the car park to strongly complain. There is no debt as the only people who can fine for parking is the council or police. Please do not pay, that is how these companies survive.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Mozza
Townsperson

Mozza
3rd April 2014 at 7:39PM, Edit: 3rd April 2014 at 7:40PM by Mozza
Firstly, do not pay, they're rogues.
Roxburgh are a different department of Excel.   Debt collectors have no more right to take your money than I have.
The only time you'll be in legal trouble is if you don't pay a small claims court.
They have a department called "Graham white solicitors" who will be in touch threatening you too.

Secondly, read all the stuff recommended above. When you understand it, you won't be scared or intimidated.

Thirdly, decide what you want to do. You can either completely ignore, or go to POPLA.
I've ignored them three times, and after 6 months of letters from all the above, they've gone away. I want them to take me to the small claims court.

lastly, don't pay, and remember there is no criminal offence here, and only a small claims court could make you pay. They're very cheap informal courts.

samay007 Wrote:

Today I had a call from 01932332038 regarding Peel Center over stay parking fine that happened in November 2013 and she asked me to pay the fine of £150 pounds. She was calling from a company called Roxburghe (UK) Limited, a debt collector working for Excel parking services.

How the hell they got my land line number? I told her that it DID NOT HAPPEN and DID NOT receive any thing on the post, I'm not going to pay just like that. Can they collect the money over the phone? will it not go to the small claims court to appeal? need all your advice please....
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
sparrow
Villager

sparrow
4th April 2014 at 11:57AM
Eveyone on here says dont pay- spread the word! A pcn is not a fine or a debt. Excel parking and other private companies issue a charge notice for what they claim is a breach of contract, a parking company can only legally seek to recover its losses eg,£1.oo And not make ilicit profits. If by chance they actually took someone to court and the parking company won the cost would be £1 plus court costs approx £40. They know people get scared and end up paying hundreds of pounds. Harrassment is their business model.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
sparrow
Villager

sparrow
4th April 2014 at 12:13PM
By the way private parking companies very rarely do court, they have been spanked in court up and down the country. Plenty of evidence online to support this and plenty of advice online to help the motorist.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12 13 >>