Hazel Grove News

A Suburb in Stockport

10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

£60 Peel Centre parking fine...

This Thread is Locked

This Thread has been locked by a forum moderator.

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 12 13 >>

glenandem
Forum Moderator

glenandem
Re: £60 Peel Centre parking fine...
6th November 2013 at 5:55PM
i was at toys r us this morning and noticed the signs which were massive and placed on loads of posts, but they stated on them that if your staying for longer than 15 mins your agreeing to theyre parking rules but does that mean youve got 15 mins to get in and get out without paying lol!
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
JoJo
Villager

JoJo
3rd December 2013 at 11:13PM
Sorry to hear you paid Serenity, you really didn't need to. Mozza is spot on with everything he(?) says. Council tickets require attention, private company 'fines' do not. Check out the Fightback Forums on pepipoo.com ...there are some very knowledgeable people posting on there!

I got a ticket for staying too long in McDonald's car park. It was ignored and after sending 6 letters threatening various degrees of action (court, bailiffs etc) and saying that my 'fine' had increased significantly, they just stopped. This was two years ago.

I always buy a ticket and try and adhere to their time limits but if I ever get stung at The Peel Centre I will be following the same course of action as above as I know they will eventually go away
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Eugee73
Idler

Eugee73
23rd January 2014 at 10:28AM
Hello,

I'm recently new to Stockport having only moved to the area last summer.

I visited the Peel Centre sometime maybe July last year. I didn't notice it was a pay and display as the retail parks I am used to dont charge. And I didn't notice a pay and display machine anywhere. I was in and out a few shops, Matalan and Gap I think, just for one particular item then left.

At this point I still hadn't updated my DVLA details so when I returned to my old address, I had received a £60 fine. I thought it was a advertisment at first, because it was covered in ways to pay. I have since received a £100 fine then, only last week I received a letter from a bailiff's saying the fine had gone up to £166 and would rise considerably if I didn't pay.

Following the thread on here, I have ignored the first two letters but receiving a letter from a bailiffs has got me wondering.

Any advice would be greatly received.

Thank you.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Mozza
Townsperson

Mozza
23rd January 2014 at 11:16AM
HI

These guys aren't bailiffs... bailiffs are specifically sent by a court, if you don't pay the court.

You've been sent something by debt collectors, who have no more legal right than I have to your money.
Actually, the guys that excel use are another depth of Excel.

I know they do scare people... so if I was you, I'd go to the forum on Martin Lewis's site www.moneysavingexpert.com ( I think it's .com) and have a look, even post your concerns.
There's a lot of experts on there about this, and it's more up to date.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
6th February 2014 at 9:04PM
Hi

I received a parking fine in the post from the delightful Excel parking after driving into the peel centre stockport in December to return some goods to Next. I got in a que to enter the car park, took me ages to find a space (Mid December with lots of Christmas shoppers).I had the correct change to buy a parking ticket but after walking to a machine, found it to be covered over with a yellow plastic sheet saying it was out of order. I looked around and noticed another machine nearby and walked to that one - which was also covered over with an out of order sign. My daughter and I looked again and couldn't see any further machines. After checking on the windscreens of nearby cars (which also hadn't been able to purchase a ticket) I left my Daughter to sit in the car and called into Next. I then got into a que waiting to get out of the peel centre. I have appealed the ticket as their machines were out of order and I had every intention to buy a ticket, if they'd given me the means to do so. I have now received Excels response to say (surprise surprise) they have rejected my appeal as they say I should have kept looking for a working machine, as they have a total of 14 of them at the peel centre! If that is the case, I have to say that they have not made it clear where their other machines are! I also had a 12 month old baby in the car and no trolley. They have also stated that on their machines is a sign with a phone number to ring if their is a problem with the machine! Not much use if it's covered over and you don't have a mobile phone to use! They have sent me a popla code. Do I appeal to Popla or just ignore any further correspondance from them? It's an absolute disgrace and I will NEVER shop or go for a meal at the peel centre again! I've complained about Excel and their bullyboy tactics to Stockport Council who basically aren't interested, i also sent complained to the Peel Centre manager and have't even had a reply from him/her! Great customer service! Help!!!
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Mozza
Townsperson

Mozza
6th February 2014 at 10:16PM
Hi,

They really can't do anything if you don't pay, it's not a criminal offence, and I haven't paid.

However, I believe that POPLA lot are meant to be fair, but I don't know.

If I was you, I'd go on the forums at Martin Lewis's site www.moneysavingexpert.com, and put your query on there. .. There's loads of people that know what they're on about, more than me. You might also want a read through what others have said.
It's spilt between ignoring them, like I do, and appealing to the "REGULATOR"
I wouldn't have any conversation with Excel, they are absolute cowboys.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
slim
Townsperson

slim
7th February 2014 at 8:13AM
Private company's are not allowed to fine you and it shouldn't say that its a fine ? What they have sent you is a charge for using there facility's and in there opinion you breached the contract you entered into by parking on there site and not paying .
The onus is on them to prove you deliberately had no intention of paying if the circumstances are as you say then am sure there charge would be waived on appeal .
I would ignore them and see if they pursue you for payment and if they do then then and only then go down the appeals route.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Mozza
Townsperson

Mozza
7th February 2014 at 8:20AM
slim Wrote:

Private company's are not allowed to fine you and it shouldn't say that its a fine ? What they have sent you is a charge for using there facility's and in there opinion you breached the contract you entered into by parking on there site and not paying .
The onus is on them to prove you deliberately had no intention of paying if the circumstances are as you say then am sure there charge would be waived on appeal .
I would ignore them and see if they pursue you for payment and if they do then then and only then go down the appeals route.

I would totally ignore them, but some people are too scared, and that's fair enough.
There's no point in waiting for them to pursue it, as they have computer systems that just send out the next stupid letter, so there's no decision for them to make.

It's either appealing to the regulator, or ignoring completely.
You should never contact the parking cowboys, they will never let you off, and you're just confirming your address. At least otherwise they have to pay the DVLA for your details 😊
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
7th February 2014 at 11:29AM
slim Wrote:

I received one of these fines/notices with a photo showing the times I entered and left the car park. I eventually paid.

I'm not so sure that intention to pay would hold much water. Also if they can prove that they did have ticket machines operating on the day(which I'm sure they can) but have no log of your registration number - tied together with the photo then that's their proof. But good luck if you decide to appeal.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
slim
Townsperson

slim
7th February 2014 at 12:57PM
They rely on fear of prosecution and intimidating you into paying they have the same powers as we do they would have to go to the small claims court to get a judgement and only they know if it's worth it to them ?
It's only a civil matter they have no legal powers to inforce the so called fine other than the courts .
And if you intended to pay and couldn't because of extenuating circumstances it will be taken into consideration if it comes to an appeal.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 12 13 >>