Hazel Grove News

A Suburb in Stockport

10 10 / 10 from 9 Reviews

£60 Peel Centre parking fine...

This Thread is Locked

This Thread has been locked by a forum moderator.

<< 1 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13 >>

sparrow
Villager

sparrow
Re: £60 Peel Centre parking fine...
13th May 2014 at 6:30PM
Pongo is right, the problem is the practices used by private car parking companies, it really puts people off using the car parks, stockport is quite a sorry town in places and i now choose not to spend my money at the peel center after my experience of being wrongly ticketed by this company.
1 Likes 0 Dislikes  
davyp
Villager

davyp
19th May 2014 at 7:33PM
How many of us choose to shop where parking is free? I am sure I am not alone. The punitive parking charges and sanctions have killed off Stockport town centre, and I believe like others that the allegedly underhand activities of the parking companies in the pursuit of profit will slowly but very surely kill off places such as the Peel Centre. Serves them right if they go bust.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Damien
Villager

Damien
20th May 2014 at 10:54AM
I don't think the "cowboy practicises" (or what ever you're all making up) put people shopping in Stockport. Fact is it will be a small percentage of shoppers who will suffer this problem/distress/harassment/bullying/whatever (and if this thread is anything to go by, of their own making).

The vast majority of people shopping at the peel centre will buy their ticket, display it correctly, do their shopping and go off home without ever experiencing a problem.

Another fact is, these car parks are not there as a public service, they are there to make money. Either from the ticket in the peel centres case or to help and encourage people to shop there (eg Sainsburys and Asda). All of these restrictions and technologies are only there because of the selfish people who feel they are to good to pay for a ticket.

I would imagine the parking companies like Excel would love for nothing more than to live in an ideal world where everyone pays for their ticket, nobody overstays their time and nobody takes up two spaces or parks in disabled spots without a blue badge. They wouldn't need to pay attendants to check, they wouldn't need cameras to track cars or pay for lawyers (office drones?) to send out these fines/invoices/whatever. This 'ideal world' would also result in vastly reduced parking fees, due to very little overhead for the likes of Excel and the like.

As an example, I visited Aldi in Stockport one evening for a one off item and the car park was rather full, mostly to the back near the Bingo place, with spaces near Aldi available. When I entered the store, it was empty, except for the staff. I was the only customer but the car park was nearly 3/4th full. Obviously filled with bingo'ers. Now ask your self, why should Aldi lose money because bingo'ers are taking up their car park, making it difficult or impossible for Aldi's customers to park up and shop? The same pretty much happens with Sainsbury's Hazel Grove with Stepping Hill, but on a much reduced scale.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
21st May 2014 at 4:10AM, Edit: 21st May 2014 at 4:11AM by Passingthrough
I went to eat at one of the food places on Sunday evening and deliberately waited until later in the evening when I assumed the parking would be free. Good job I checked admit is a 24 hour system. Fortunately I found change in the car but I wonder how many people are ticketed because they simply did not have change on them?

I noted on my departure that the car park at the store across the way was full so I suspect they do not charge for parking and there were also a number of cars parked legally on the road which separates the two car parks which is where I'll be heading next time I go for food.

I'm not overly keen on paying to park but always do so when required but gone are the days when the cost was refunded in store which I always though was a rather splendid idea and also encouraged people to purchase.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Stokesy
Newcomer

Stokesy
10th June 2014 at 6:52PM
Hi,

I just entered this car park for 5 minutes to pick something up from a shop. I did read something about 15 minutes on one of the signs. Does anyone know if I will be fined for being there such a short time?
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Monkey_Harris
Newcomer

Monkey_Harris
15th July 2014 at 4:00PM
Hi Sparrow,

We’re currently getting harassed by Excel and their Debt Management Company.

I am about to write to Hobbycraft to try and get the PCN cancelled.

Who did you write to and can you send me a copy of what you sent? Thanks for your help!
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Mozza
Townsperson

Mozza
16th July 2014 at 11:41AM
It's not a debt management company.. Just another branch of excel.

You can either..

Ignore.. They have very little rights against you. They don't recommend this any more but I do it. I'd like them to take me to a small claims court.

However, go on money saving expert. Com.. They recommend that you apply to POPLA.

They know what they're on about more than me.. Have a good read on the forums.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Monkey_Harris
Newcomer

Monkey_Harris
16th July 2014 at 11:59AM
Thanks Mozza, yes I have a thread going on MSE.

They're being very helpful and I have corresponded with Excel. I'm awaiting the details to apply for a POPLA appeal.

I just wanted to try an extra angle of defence by contacting the store as it seems there has been a lot of success with 'tickets' getting cancelled this way - there's a whole thread devoted to it on MSE!

I have found the name of the Store Manager now and sent him an email..

We'll see if he can help...
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
pongo
Villager

pongo
16th July 2014 at 1:08PM, Edit: 16th July 2014 at 1:09PM by pongo
HI Monkey - Harris, I don't know the circumstances of your dispute with Excel. I wrote to my MP having had my appeal refused by POPLA. They, POPLA, apparently don't consider cases where there are mitigating circumstances!! Please see my previous threads Re. the circumstances of my particular case. My MP is still fighting the case on my behalf. I've not heard anymore about it from Excel and I have not heard from my MP for sometime. If people have a legitimate reason to challenge Excel parking charges then Contacting MP's might be the way forward. If MP's receive numerous complaints about these unscrupulous firms maybe they will legislate against them. Good luck with your case. John.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
sparrow
Villager

sparrow
16th July 2014 at 4:06PM
I wrote to Hobbycraft,7 Enterprise way,Bournemouth international airport,Christchurch,Dorset,BH23 6HG. I included proof of ticket and copy of the excel pcn and Hobbycraft receipt. I had purchased a 3hr ticket and only stayed 65mins which was all printed on the pcn. But thicko excel still wrongly issued a pcn because they rely on ANPR cameras and they are clearly not reliable. However you choose to fight it, just remember not to pay. Ever.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  

<< 1 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13 >>