Hazel Grove High School News

Jacksons Lane, Hazel Grove, Stockport, SK7 5JX

0 Area has not been reviewed yet

school uniforms

This thread was submitted to Hazel Grove

This Thread is Locked

This Thread has been locked by a forum moderator.

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 >>

Norma_Stitts
Supervised

Norma_Stitts
Re: school uniforms
12th January 2013 at 1:14AM
I note that you have gone quiet.

A few basic facts are that children of families living off the welfare state have lower attendance rates.

Children with lower attendance rates are more likely to fail their GCSEs.

Children with lower attendance rates are less likely to go onto further education.

Children with low attendance rates are more likely to spend periods of their life unemployed.

Children with low attendance rates are more likely to commit crime.

So, is the school erroneus in wanting attendance? I think not.

People in all walks of life have complaints about numerous things, it is rarely as clean cut and without blame as the 'victim' portrays.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
TwistedBanana
Townsperson

TwistedBanana
12th January 2013 at 7:07AM
I think this thread is starting to go a little awry. Since yesterday when a comment was made about "attendance" and "awards" etc. I assume what "Happy" was alluding to in the awarding of children for attendance was the "House" system currently in place which I find quite bizarre. The school is divided into 2 or 3 "houses" and each "house is given points for attendance and achievement and awards are give for this at the end. I think the more points that a "House" gains the better the school trip etc. Therefore a child can be punished for being in the wrong "house" a choice out of their hands. As the "house" is inclusive of all years then a year 6 student could miss out due to the behaviour and performance of year 11 students - that is totally beyond me.

Yesterday my son in year 6 was told that if is "house" achieves above 97% (I can't remember the exact number but that is there or there abouts) attendance, that they will all receive a £10.00 voucher, therefore he and his group were told to push for 100% attendance (which he already has)
I hope he doesn't contract the Nourovirus, could be interesting him soldiering through while infecting the whole school. What I am getting at is this isn't a particularly healthy way to do things. A lot of it smacks as pettiness and people with too much time on their hands thinking up new initiatives instead of focusing on the core education. I mentioned in an earlier comment that my eldest son had come through the school and done well but it wasn't without my intervention. Luckily he had a form tutor who was aware of his abilities and who listened and pointed me in the right direction to get things sorted (this form tutor deserves a lot of praise for helping me round the minefield sorry, system). This shouldn't be the case, not all parents have the time or even the confidence to approach an institution like a school and eloquently put their case forward to a tight string of command - they shouldn't have to!!
I think "Happy" has got herself wound up by something that has happened in relation to her child (we all do when our kids are involved). Nora, I would suggested you are trying to get a bite from someone who is currently extremely agitated by her experience. I'm sorry but indo have this vision of you sat at your computer grinning away as you you type, and sitting eagerly waiting the next response :)

I am fully understanding of how "Happy" has found the whole HGHS experience frustrating, maybe in her anger she hasn't done herself justice on here, sorry "Happy" no insult meant here, just the last couple of posts have gone off on one a little :)

I don't know either of you but I would suggest a "start again" scenario would work here

Sorry for any typos etc as this was written on my phone and I have fat thumbs and this phone has a mind of its own
1 Likes 0 Dislikes  
TwistedBanana
Townsperson

TwistedBanana
12th January 2013 at 7:10AM
Sorry my son is obviously in year 7 not year 6. This system was a lot easier when it was first year juniors, second year juniors, 1st year seniors etc
1 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Norma_Stitts
Supervised

Norma_Stitts
12th January 2013 at 9:23AM
TwistedBanana, I am not trying to get a bite, I am merely posting an alternative viewpoint.

I am not saying the above scenario is perfect but you cannot please everyone. People spend too much time looking for fault and blame rather than concentrating on the benefits of a given situation.

It's equiping children with an understanding of what will be expected within a working environment, so in itself you could say it's 'educational'. It shows that non attendance needs to be picked up by your 'colleagues', it rewards those that should be rewarded and doesn't reward those that shouldn't.

Another thing that is worth mentioning is that absence also impacts on everyone else. When that child is next in they have to be brought upto speed by the teacher, therefore hindering the education of those, such as your son, with 100% attendance.

I also stand by the notion that if one is too ill to attend school, they are too ill to do 'fun stuff'.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
happy
Townsperson

happy
12th January 2013 at 1:33PM
I went quiet as if you read I'd said Good night, which if you didnt realise that means I was going to bed!!!!!! Getting quite sick and tired of your comments to me and if you are not careful I will take it further...And it wasnt just to do with the house thing Twistedbanana, but alot of of other issues my partner and I have actually seen school about and Ive gone to local news about how I feel that woman has a disgusting attitude and shouldnt be a head END OF!! So where Norma thinks its quite ok to comment about our child and our parent skills sickens me when she knows NO FACTS. Maybe she needs to get a life and stop bad-mouthing people as she seems to totally just disregard a persons feelings!!!!!!
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
happy
Townsperson

happy
12th January 2013 at 1:40PM
But thank you for your words Twistedbanana...you are right I have been very angry over an incident with my child...but maybe answering Stupid comments from Norma has not helped me and just got me more wound up over how some people are just so ignorant. And when my child is ill No Norma they cant even get out of bed so No they wouldnt be ABLE to do fun stuff...but IF there was a day or 2 off school they shouldnt be told that they've made the attendence down for the rest of their class and they cant do a particular trip etc just because of that....If you had lots of time off ill you could still go on your works christmas do I presumme you wouldnt be told "Oh you cant because you were off ill"
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
happy
Townsperson

happy
12th January 2013 at 2:03PM
To twistedbanana, also if you look on the Arundel robberies part on this forum on the crime bit, Norma has called my child "skiving kid" so as you can imagine I was very angry and needed to comment. I am not having my child called when she doesnt even know us
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Norma_Stitts
Supervised

Norma_Stitts
12th January 2013 at 3:32PM, Edit: 12th January 2013 at 3:33PM by Norma_Stitts
Happy, what you seem to be missing here is that I am not going out of my way to cause you offence. This is a forum, a place for online public discussion. By virtue of that you will get different points of view. That's part of life.

happy Wrote:

Getting quite sick and tired of your comments to me and if you are not careful I will take it further...

'Hi, is that the Internet Police? Someone has a different opinion than myself...'

happy Wrote:

If you had lots of time off ill you could still go on your works christmas do I presumme you wouldnt be told "Oh you cant because you were off ill"

It wouldn't be too bright would it? Off work sick and then turn up for a works jolly? I'm sure that an employer would have something to say on the matter. Not the best example you could have come up with.

happy Wrote:

To twistedbanana, also if you look on the Arundel robberies part on this forum on the crime bit, Norma has called my child "skiving kid" so as you can imagine I was very angry and needed to comment. I am not having my child called when she doesnt even know us

You got a retaliatory remark after you aimed disparaging comments at myself. What's the phrase? What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
1 Likes 0 Dislikes  
happy
Townsperson

happy
12th January 2013 at 4:37PM
You have a different opinion to me yes Norma as you dont actually know the story as to why my partner and I (and the ed board and local newspaper and councillor have come to this decision) But having your dif of opinion Yes I will tolerate as we all have dif opinions but you have made slanderous comments about my parenting skills and my child WHO YOU DONT KNOW AND HAVE NEVER MET!!!!!! you may not like people who are "Living on the welfare" as you put it BUT DO NOT CLASS ME AS 1 OF THEM as I am not, and do not call my child a "Skiver" who will amount to nothing.....GET YOUR FACTS CORRECT BEFORE YOU COMMENT. Debating an issue on here or having a dif opinion, Yes fine but do not start to offend and be downright disrespectful to others and pass judgements on them or their lives. I hope 1 day you dont have a family member ill that someone slates pubicly because you sure aint going to just sit there and take it as "A difference of opinion"
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
happy
Townsperson

happy
12th January 2013 at 4:40PM
Oh and the comment on the works xmas do that I brought up was actually a valid point as I was meaning if you off earlier in the year ill that you would then get told you couldnt go to the works do, I didnt mean be off ill and then go to the do...Just thought I'd point that out in plain english seen as though you obviously didnt understand it the 1st time!!!!!!!! Because some children get told when they've been off ill that at a later time they cant go to Proms, trips etc
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 >>