This thread was submitted to Hazel Grove

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >>

Robot69
Citizen

Robot69
Re: HGHS V Hazel Grove Academy
5th August 2012 at 10:33PM
OliverJohnstone Wrote:

I understand your concern and anxiety about that and indeed it is not something that I would wish to see happen.

HGHS cannot really become a 'selective' school per se unless it becomes over-subscribed - which in a way would be a good thing as it would mean the school is a good school to send your children to. Even if that were to happen, a state school could not select on any grounds other than first-come-first-served or catchment area. It's just not legal.

I also sympathise with the Governing Body of which I was formerly a member a long time before this issue came to the fore. They were up against an aggressive union counter campaign who were peddling some shocking untruths and misinformation in meetings and pamphlets.

I would have approached the matter a lot differently though.

lol
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
BigTed
Villager

BigTed
9th August 2012 at 12:02PM
My dear Mr Banana, or may I call you twisted;

Whilst I am clearly surprised that one who should act as a bully - would admit to being such, I am flattered that you are at all interested in my opinion.

My identity is a matter for me and me alone, however I would predicate that the view I have taken is not the view of me alone. The ability of a small number of small individuals with large voices on this forum, who in your words believe that bullying their views into the faces of the vast majority of clearly contented and to a significant degree impressed, parent cohort of the school would substantiate the truism that bullies never win.

Furthermore, I have read – with great care, your views and the views of others on the forum and understand your concerns. Indeed they have coloured my views and informed my opinions. For how is humanity to survive if we each take a standpoint, such as yours and then continue to batter it into the minds of others, regardless of the evidence which may be staring us all in the face.

I would have thought that a forum was for the polite exchange of views and the discussion and challenge of others. This forum appears to be the parochial domain of the self proclaimed bullies who can find no other voice, for such narrow minded bigotry has no place in a civilised society – or am I wrong in this view also, Mr Banana?

Were you to be a little more welcoming of newer members perhaps you could be better informed as well...
Coleman
Good Citizen

Coleman
9th August 2012 at 12:27PM
I have honestly never seen so many words used in a post that in essence doesn't say anything! Quite and achievement.

I like how you consider anyone questioning your "evidence" as bulling (i'm convinced you are a teacher now), When in reality you "evidence" means nothing and their challenging it is probably more than justified.

like has been said to you before come back in 5/10 years and tell us everything is still improving and peachy, because it will only be after that sort of time frame that anyone can claim these sort of changes are a success (or not)!

On a positive note, i drove past the school today and noticed that they are finally (after what bust be several decades) replacing the windows with double glazed units! I have to admit (being a critic of the schools facility's) that is one of a long list of jobs that have needed doing for many many years. So if it is a result of the schools new found status then a small mark on the tally for the Academy supporters!
1 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
BigTed
Villager

BigTed
9th August 2012 at 12:51PM
I think you have made my case for me:

I do agree with your contention that these things will not bear fruit in an instant, but equally as you have pointed out in regard to the windows – improvements are being made in small steps. I pointed out that improvements are being made in the outcomes of the students, in small steps. Together, in small steps, the school is improving and benefiting from its conversion to academy status and the increased funding which that brings is bearing fruit in growing quantity and quality.

Have faith, have patience – have a better Hazel Grove High School.

Rome wasn’t built etc. etc.
Coleman
Good Citizen

Coleman
9th August 2012 at 12:57PM
The point you're missing though is that other schools that have gone this route, also spent money and improved in the early day, only to lack funding later on and be forced to take funding wherever it may come.

It's all well and good saying in the 4 months that have passed this has changed and that has. But it means nothing, it is the situation in years time that will show whether it is a success or not!

Also, i have to say that although its great they are finally replacing the ancient windows, as i said its only one of a long long list of improvements the school needs! Lets see if much else gets done!
TwistedBanana
Townsperson

TwistedBanana
9th August 2012 at 1:29PM
My comment referencing bullying was clearly tongue in cheek as was my point about you hiding behind the bike sheds. It was meant to bring you out of hiding in a lighthearted way by using a school analogy. You may want to have a look at getting the sense of humour bypass reversed.

I am still waiting for you answer on how you can claim 10 years of improvement is down to four months of acadamey status?

I am still waiting for you to explain your comments in relation to the school becoming difficult to get into if it is successful?

I would also like it explained why teachers were locked out of the meeting with parents and not allowed in any way to express their point of view to the parents?

I would still like it explained why no one at the meetings had received the letter that had apparently been sent to all parents of high and junior school year sixes? We all found out by word of mouth instigated by a couple of concerned teacing assistants

I would still like it explained why the notification of the meeting was hidden in small print about four levels down on the Hazel grove website?

I await your input. Hopefully you are in the know and can explain all this, if you aren't in the know then i would love to know what your agenda is
1 Likes 1 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
TwistedBanana
Townsperson

TwistedBanana
9th August 2012 at 1:32PM
Big Ted - please don't confuse apathy with agreement!!
1 Likes 1 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
vulcanman
Townsperson

vulcanman
9th August 2012 at 9:20PM
What a load of hot air from Twisted; but what an apt name. I wonder if you were one of those continually shouting the odds at the community meetings with the Governors? For many parents including myself that was just embarrassing.

Whilst perhaps some may question the totality of Big Ted’s list of achievements being down to the academy status the first eight bullet points appear to be simple matters of fact and not for debate… In particular the first four were all challenged by some of the unions who were simply touting lies and half truths at their meetings which I as a concerned parent attended.

The crux for me is that the school is now free from the meddling and incompetent LA. Strong words perhaps? Well just speak to ex staff and parents from the now closed Offerton High about the death by 1000 cuts and the inevitable closure which nobody wanted. Did we really want this to happen to HGHS? The only way to 100% preclude closure by the LA was to become an Academy, especially since I gather that the land leased from them for 125 years was the most expensive in the borough and therefore being eyed up to be developed for housing.

No doubt budgets will be tight at all schools in the future, but I’d rather have any and all funds from government given direct to schools. This is nothing to do with privatisation … its about removing a middleman. In the case of HGHS I heard that more than £500k per year was held back by the LA to fund its wasteful bureaucracy in the town hall. I can’t help thinking that more teachers, teaching assistants or perhaps money being spent to upgrade facilities has got to be better all around for the school and community than on an overpaid director of education and all his flunkies.

I think HGHS is like any other school with parent governors being elected. Something perhaps I will consider since the success at the end of the day will be down to the community of Hazel Grove. Like it or not, the school is an academy and I’d rather put politics to one side and make the best we can of it.
0 Likes 1 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
BigTed
Villager

BigTed
9th August 2012 at 9:36PM, Edit: 9th August 2012 at 9:42PM by BigTed
Well said Vulcanman you are clearly a [Vulcan]man in the know.

You have highlighted yet more reasons why the school is far far better off cut-free from the LEA. It had never dawned on me before but the schools land would indeed be prime building land in an area of high cost housing. Look what happened to all of those closed primary schools – prime building land. I’ll bet all of the money realised from the sale of those prime plots wasn’t spent on educating our children!

More comfy cushions down at the town hall I’ll bet.

So what we are saying here then; is by accident or design the governors who we all thought ill of may have saved the school for the future kids of Hazel Grove that the avaricious bods at the town hall could have turned into housing for families who would then have no place to send their kids to school!

Remarkable!
0 Likes 1 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
TwistedBanana
Townsperson

TwistedBanana
10th August 2012 at 8:57AM
Vulcan – I attended three meetings in relation to the Academy.
1.     The first meeting I attended was hastily organised by Unison. It had to be arranged overnight as the school had sent letters home with the children asking for the parents to vote for or against the idea. The letters were poorly (or maybe deliberately)worded and it was obvious that a lot of people would have just put them in the “to do” pile without realising that they only had a few days to react to what is the biggest change and in my opinion threat to the school since its inception.
This meeting was held in a public venue and open to all, parents, teachers, governors, local MPs etc. At this meeting I spoke to two teachers who were massively against the idea of the academy. I sat and listened to their reasoning. I also spoke to a person who was very much for the academy; I sat and listened to his reasoning.

2.     The second meeting I went to was at the school. This is the meeting that was so poorly advertised, the meeting of the “missing letters”. From your words you also attended this meeting. I wasn’t one of the gentlemen who got quite animated, I was however sat very close to them, I also understand their reaction when having asked a very legitimate question they were dismissed with one of the most supercilious, condescending, pompous responses I have ever heard. They reacted strongly to being spoken to like children; I for one don’t blame them. Another member of the governing board then tried weakly to apologise for it. It set a tone for the meeting. I tried in vain to ask my questions, a point that Miss Nolan (head teacher) will confirm as she saw me patiently waiting my turn while being ignored by said governor as he avoided that side of the room, she eventually drew his attention to me after a 30 minute wait. My question never go answered it got swerved.
This meeting was a closed shop, no teachers or Union members allowed in to give opposing views to the governors
DOES THIS IN ANYWAY MAKE YOU SUSPICIOUS?

3.     The third meeting I attended was at the primary school, very poorly attended due again to weak marketing. At this meeting the governor actually brought up the incident at the high school which got some peoples hackles up, he mocked them for the question asked, he put his own spin on it, he made a mistake though as he hadn’t realised I was there and I pulled him up and actually let the few attendees the true story of what happened and the question that was asked.
I still wait for either you or Big ted to answer the questions asked in my earlier post, it seems strange to me that not one has been addressed, as a previous poster pointed out, Big ted used a lot of words to actually say nothing. You however have put your slant on it as you use sentences that start with “you heard” or “you gather”. Not very convincing to me!
What are your thoughts on the fact that a number of academies set up last year are now receiving less money than they were when the LEA was taking a slice.
Have a look at my previous questions and see if just possibly you could answer one
Oliver Johnstone, someone I have no political similarity with, at least came back with valid points and how he viewed the future. He didn’t in anyway sound pompous (difficult for a tory, I know), he may not agree in the slightest with me but at least he didn’t set out to antagonise me.
You and Big Ted have however managed to do so, with you question avoidance. Big Ted insinuates that I continue to batter my point despite evidence proving me wrong; he suggests that I am bigoted. Well until someone answers my questions and gives me a reason to stop “battering” my point then I find it difficult to see it any other way.
1 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >>

Tagged With..