This thread was submitted to Hazel Grove

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >>

Adora
Good Citizen

Adora
Re: HGHS V Hazel Grove Academy
15th November 2011 at 10:47AM

VI Form - brilliant.

Academy - dunno. Can't make my mind up about this one. Obvious and not so obvious benefits but as TB has just pointed out, potential for serious concerns.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
BigTed
Villager

BigTed
1st August 2012 at 3:33PM
So where are all the nay-sayers now?

HGHS became an Academy on 1st March 2012.
•     No teachers lost their jobs.
•     No support staff lost their jobs.
•     No staff objected sufficiently to resign.
•     Budgets went up.

•     All students have continued to commit and thrive.
•     All staff jobs are secure.
•     The school is free from LA meddling and closure for 125years.
•     A sixth-form is on the horizon.

Not only are all of the above truths incontestable, but the year on year results go from strength to strength. Each student is encouraged to perform to their individual very best. A proven fact recognised recently by a national award placing HGHS in the top 10% of school nationally.

All of this is testament to the sound and well grounded decision to convert the school to an Academy, allowing – amongst many other things, the school to fund additional support for its students and thus further driving up the standards of this excellent school and its students.

It is perhaps as well that the nay-sayers on this forum remain for the most part anonymous, for in a very short number of years to come it is likely that you may have to fight to get your child into this school!

So where are all the nay-sayers now?
Coleman
Good Citizen

Coleman
1st August 2012 at 3:51PM
I would genuinely quite like to see what the school is like these days, results were fine when i was there, the problems the school had were it's crumbling buildings, antique equipment, arrogant and in some case down right nasty teachers, etc.

I hope these are areas that have improved too. I do have my doubts though, i remember that the official line always seemed to be 'all that matters is exam results' even if that meant their teaching only ever consisted of things that were on the exam papers and nothing more!

I wouldn't worry about many people fighting to get their kids in to the school, unless the above things have changed i certainly won't be sending my child/children there.
TwistedBanana
Townsperson

TwistedBanana
1st August 2012 at 3:53PM
I would suggest that 4 months is a little early to claim success and the fact that a number of schools that adopted the academy status this time last year are already reporting cuts in budgets that mean they won't be able to complete work started and have shoftfalls in their annual budgets. This was reported by all the news networks in recent months.

They are being forced to look at outside funding, ie the privatisation of the education system by stealth. I maintain that this is the overall plan and now that is coming to pass.

I challenge you to come to this forum every six months from now to prove me wrong, to come on four months into a project is at best a little naive and at worst damn right patronising
TwistedBanana
Townsperson

TwistedBanana
1st August 2012 at 4:00PM
I would also suggest that to claim year on year improvements are down to the fact that an acadamy system has been in place for foueer months is scandalous.

And to suggest that its positive that no teachers resigned because of the decision. wow, what planet are you on. There is a bloody deep set recession on, people will protect their jobs at all costs, even if it means sacrifices their moral values. Dont forget there were a good few teachers stood outside your parents meeting on the subject who werent allowed to enter and express their views - what a wonderfull trusting atmosphere that created!!!!!!!!!!
0 Likes 1 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
TwistedBanana
Townsperson

TwistedBanana
1st August 2012 at 4:03PM
Excuse typos, i wrote the last two responses with fire coming out of my feckin ears!!!!!!
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
1st August 2012 at 4:05PM, Edit: 1st August 2012 at 4:06PM by OliverJohnstone
I think it was a positive step to take but it is not about who was right or who was wrong.

I have no problem with the idea of private funding or private companies running services, in fact large areas of the public sector are privately contracted out and have been for decades. However, the absolute line in the sand for me is 1) is the state education service free at the point of use? and 2) is it delivering a good standard of education that equips our children with the skills they need?

There is nothing morally wrong in principle with state or private ownership - it's all down to what it delivers. So far so good for the new academy, let's hope it continues.

All I will say is that during debates in the future on these kind of topics, it is important not to be blinded by wild scaremongers on either side and approach the discussion on the basis of evidence and reason.
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
1st August 2012 at 4:12PM
I would also add, TwistedBanana on your point about privatisation by stealth - just a couple of things that you may like to respond to:

1) This is a state-run academy. How is it privatisation by stealth? There is nothing about being free from a local authority's control that makes a school automatically privatised.

2) What's wrong with a private company running a school if the level of service is maintained or improved and is still free at the point of use?
Coleman
Good Citizen

Coleman
1st August 2012 at 4:20PM
He said that all the other academy's eventually found they were under funded and had to turn to private investment! I'm pretty sure that is what he meant by privatisation by stealth!

How could a school be privatised? For a private investor to be interested and/or for a business to run a school there would need to be profit involved, where would that come from in a state school?

If there were some way for a state school to be a privatised without affecting the service it provides then i suppose it doesn't matter, thing is though i don't think that is possible!
TwistedBanana
Townsperson

TwistedBanana
1st August 2012 at 4:59PM
What i mean Oliver is this:

As certain schools will have access to funding outside of their state funding they will utilise that facility. This will enhance that school and make it more desirable to potential students, sounds ok so far?

Ok, heres my issue, depending on location of the school funding will be less easy to come by, this school will lag behind and will be punished for poor results etc as the well funded school cherry picks the best students, hmm, starting to sound a little more worrying now.

Eventually the schools with access to solid private funding will thrive (you never know HGHS could be one of these), the best teachers will want to work in the best schools for the best pay and best working environment, the others will fall into oblivion.

To me this is starting to sound like a national disaster. It will destroy areas completely and create a huge educational divide that will take us back to the turn of the 20th century.

You may think i am exaggerating this point, you may think that if a lot of schools become self-funding then there is more in the education budget to help the poorer schools - i for one do not believe this will be the case, that money will be directed elesewhere. Many childrens educational right will be lost, a lost generation of children, 100 times worse than what we have now.

I could labour on more about what i think the overall affect will be but i think you get my jist.

I was however extremely angry with Big Teds claim of success after 4 months, i am still spitting
0 Likes 1 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >>

Tagged With..