HGHS V Hazel Grove Academy

This thread was submitted to Hazel Grove

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >>

JoJo
Villager

JoJo
Re: HGHS V Hazel Grove Academy
8th November 2011 at 12:47PM
I've heard the same as Sifter. Some great teachers left when she took over and from what I could gather others weren't exactly jumping through hoops with happiness.

My little sis left a couple of years ago so she only had Ms Nolan for a short time but she wasn't impressed with her. Unless something changes in the next year my daughter will not be going there even if it means us having to move house
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Debbieh
Drifter
9th November 2011 at 10:22AM
My daughter goes there, its atrocious... move house now!!!
Drifter
11th November 2011 at 11:41PM
My 2 kids go there, and are doing extremely well. I too had my doubts about Miss Nolan at first, but i personally think she is turning the school around, just have a look at the GCSE results from this year, 93% of students acheived 5 GCSE A-C passes!!
I know both my kids will come out with the best possible grades, as they are constantly pushed and encouraged to their best, the school even has revision classes on a saturday morning!! I have had to go in school on a number of occassions, and everytime the pupils are polite and friendly, opening the doors for me etc.
I just feel that some people need to look at the facts first before they slate the school.
Climate
Drifter
12th November 2011 at 10:45PM
JoJo Wrote:

My little sis left a couple of years ago so she only had Ms Nolan for a short time but she wasn't impressed with her. Unless something changes in the next year my daughter will not be going there even if it means us having to move house

LMAO @ the hilarity of that.

So, let me get this right? Your little sister didn't like the head who was only there for a year so you would consider moving to put your kid in another school? What the hell do you expect a head to do to be liked by kids, give them free sweets? More to the point why was she in a position to judge the head? It's only the problem kids that get to that level.

PMSL @ moving house to change schools. So where will you move? Bramhall, Poynton? Yeah, check you downsizing so she can go to ANOTHER state school. My old man refused to pay for me to go to Stockport Grammar after my parents divorced, fair plays IMO. If you were that bothered you would stay where you are but pay for something like that.

Typical of this forum, moan, moan, moan about trivial crap when ignoring the bigger picture.

You want your kid to be educated? Get your hand in your pocket, you will NOT get it at any state school unless your child is driven. You cannot live your life through your kids, so do not try and push your own educational failings onto them by pushing them, my Mother tried it with me - it failed. I had no intention of University.
Adora
Good Citizen

Adora
13th November 2011 at 1:36PM

Climate, paying for education doesn't automatically translate in to a superior education! If a child at Stockport Grammar isn't driven, they aren't going to magically turn in to A* students just because you've dug deep in to the bank of mum and dad!

Moving house to be in a different school catchment area isn't a wild idea either! You've got to look at your kids and know what kind of environment is going to suit them and their particular personalities. State or private - all schools have different areas of focus. No point sticking the kid in to a hugely science-focused school if that child's personality and interests are all based around the arts! (Poynton places bigger emphasis on music than HGHS does, for example).

If you believe a school is not getting the things right that you feel are important for your child's well-being and maximum chances of success, based on the child's personality, then you take 'em else where.

Adora
Good Citizen

Adora
13th November 2011 at 1:43PM

Forgot to say - investigating different schools isn't about trying to live your life vicariously through your kids either!

I appreciate that back in the olden days, when everything was in black and white, our parents chucked us at the local school and that was that but things have changed a smidge now!
Climate
Drifter
13th November 2011 at 4:15PM
Adora Wrote:

Climate, paying for education doesn't automatically translate in to a superior education! If a child at Stockport Grammar isn't driven, they aren't going to magically turn in to A* students just because you've dug deep in to the bank of mum and dad

I think that's largely the point I was trying to make but the fermented apple juice meant I ended up going the houses so to speak.

Oh, just to clarify; the last paragraph in my last post wasn't aimed at anyone, I was just rambling! LMAO
Mark
Drifter
14th November 2011 at 4:50PM
Their definitely changing the school into an academy. Kids got a letter home today saying about it and they are wondering to build a sixth form and change the school name!
Drifter
14th November 2011 at 7:21PM
My son got a letter home last thurs !!
TwistedBanana
Townsperson

TwistedBanana
14th November 2011 at 7:41PM
Yes we also got the letter home today stating that the school will become an academy in January 2012. There is a tick box for us to vote for a sixth form.

Don't see the point to be honest, a petition against the Academy has been largely ignored, the views expressed at meetings at the High School and its feeder schools seem also to have been ignored. I would suggest its irrelevant what box i tick regarding the sixth form the Governors will go ahead with what they want no matter.

Really disappointed with this decision as i think its the thin end of the wedge which in time will lead to the virtual privatisation of our education system. In the short term the school will use its government funding to run but it will be encouraged to seek private funding. Once this has happened the government will reduce the state funding. In time we will see many schools fall by the wayside while others prosper. This will force the Government to re-introduce a state education system which will have become near enough extinct. It will a shadow of anything we have now (no matter what your thought are about current schooling). I think my kids will have just about got through the system by then but feel for the people of Hazel Grove who have very young children or planned families, you had no say in this and its your kids who will be hit hardest. I would all start to pray now that HGHS comes out the right side - what a terrible gamble this really is
<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >>

Tagged With..