HGHS V Hazel Grove Academy

This thread was submitted to Hazel Grove

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >>

William_Wragg
Hazel Grove MP

William_Wragg
Re: HGHS V Hazel Grove Academy
23rd May 2011 at 6:14PM
I went to the meeting this evening at the Civic Hall, which the unions organised. I appeared to be the only Hazel Grove councillor there.

Ultimately the decision to apply for acadmemy status is for the governing body to make. However, parents have the opportunity to make their views known to them.

I support the idea of letting parents decide through a ballot, and will suggest this to the chairman of governors.

However, rather than having one-sided meetings (as the unions, as they admitted, have an ideological problem with academies) it would be beneficial to have a proper discussion where both sides can make their case.

Again, this discussion must be on the educational merits of the proposal.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
23rd May 2011 at 6:21PM
I too was there and despite my support for academies in principle, I think William's comments provide the best solution.

Let's have a full and frank debate and ballot the parents on the issue.

We desperately need to heard the governing body's side of things.
Adora
Good Citizen

Adora
23rd May 2011 at 6:26PM

There's a primary school in HG that has a broadband connection it neither wants nor needs. The LEA basically told them they had to get it through the supplier they (the LEA) had negotiated with. The contract is expensive (eye wateringly so) and it runs for several years.

The LEA have now said that because of "Government cuts", they can't help out with the budget required to pay for it and the school will have to find funds from its existing budget!

To me, this sucks! The school is desperate for funding for teachers and all manner of other things yet a big, fat chunk of the money they have (barely) available is going towards this internet connection.

I thought one of the main points of academies was to allow schools to totally manage their own funding and not have LEA decisions such as the one described above imposed on them? Surely the school itself is better placed to decide on how to use the budget? Contractors also hear the words "school", "council", "LEA" etc and wack up the prices! IT manufacturers are gits for doing this!

ALSO - just going back to the curriculum - yes, I understand we have to teach towards exams so that places constraints but SATS and the like are a restrictive use of class room time? If a school becomes an academy, doesn't that mean it can start to teach towards exams in a less prescriptive and more inspirational way?

cllrkevinhogg
Hazel Grove Councillor

cllrkevinhogg
24th May 2011 at 6:40AM
I am rather in the middle on this . On the one hand there is the support of the council family of schools should anything go disasterously wrong and on the other is freedom to choose what is taught etc and cutting out the amount paid to the council for services such as HR Ins. etc
When all is said and done the most important thing is not political ideology but the education of our children and that should come above all else. What should be researched is acadamy results and whether they are substantially better than state run schools and I think the jury is still out on that one.
Any info gratefully received
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
24th May 2011 at 6:53AM
I agree, Councillor. SEN is also a concern, especially given the number of SEN students at HGHS. Any switch to an academy must be looked at on a case by case basis for its merits but ultimately the parents need to be on board. They are the real stakeholders in this case and ought to have the loudest voice.

At the end of the day if becoming an academy hampers the school's ability to provide a good standard of education to all, then it shouldn't happen, irrespective of my views on the idea in principle.
School Worker
Drifter
24th May 2011 at 12:54PM
I apologise for being confusing, I am trying to answer points and should probably quote the original points first.

Adora, you make it clear where the problems with the current system are, this si what being an academy can fix (yes primaries can also become then).

I agree with both the councillors to, SEN should be a real concern, where I am the school has continued with the same level of support from the same workers. If the council continued to offer the SEN support at a similar price then HGHS would probably buy it.

Sadly I am now away for 2 weeks, do by then I suspect the decision will have been made, a decision that only school governors have an actual vote on.
BlueGrover
Good Citizen

BlueGrover
25th May 2011 at 6:23AM
It's a done deal.
The phrase consultation means nowt. The Govs will vote for Academy status.
Coleman
Good Citizen

Coleman
25th May 2011 at 9:12AM
Adora Wrote:

Contractors also hear the words "school", "council", "LEA" etc and wack up the prices! IT manufacturers are gits for doing this!

I can't speak for the IT side of things but as a blanket statement your miles off the mark!

We have in the past (the works drying up now for obvious reasons) done quite a bit of school work (Kitchens) and i can tell you that winning the work on tender as it always is these days is very very cut throat. There is almost no profit in the work for contractors because of the way everyone has to fight hard to win the work. All public sector work goes to the lowest bidder (regardless of quality and credentials)!

The planners (Architects/consultants) on the other hand automatically get all the work (maybe because they are owned by the council) so charge what they want.

Getting back to IT for a second, when you say they don't want the line, do you mean they don't want that particular line (because it's so expensive) or that they don't want the internet?

I would hope it's the first one, because in this day in age internet access is pretty vital (whether people like it or not) especially in teaching!
sifter
Drifter
8th November 2011 at 10:03AM
What everybody seems to be missing in all of this is the improvement of the school. from what I have seen of HGHS this won't happen until you replace the head - she has burnt her bridges with the majority of the staff at the school!
Adora
Good Citizen

Adora
8th November 2011 at 11:57AM

Really? I heard some good stuff about the head - that she'd really changed things for the better! (Only what I've heard, my children are not old enough to go there yet).
<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >>

Tagged With..