0 Area has not been reviewed yet

HGHS V Hazel Grove Academy

This thread was submitted to Hazel Grove

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >>

Debbieh
Drifter
HGHS V Hazel Grove Academy
13th May 2011 at 4:59AM
All the parents got a letter this week to inform us that the school are entering a consulation period on looking at changing to becoming an academy.
From what Ive researched and all I know is that they get more money allocated, manage their own budget and can sort of decide their own curriculum, but the only actual Acadamy I am in knowledge of is Stockport/Avondale and thats always been a bit dodgy, but none of the info really tells you the main thing that you areinterested in and thats how it could/wont benefit the students.

May I ask for thoughts? without getting a barrage of abuse?!?!?!?
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Quote Report  
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
Re: HGHS V Hazel Grove Academy
13th May 2011 at 5:53AM, Edit: 13th May 2011 at 5:53AM by OliverJohnstone
Very complex question re disadvantages vs advantages. I am also unsure about whether HGHS will be able to become one unless it improves its OFSTED rating. However, not 100% sure on how the regulations stand at the mo.

They are given more freedom over how they teach - greater freedom to involve the private sector or the local community, for example.

The main benefit is who runs the school. At the moment HGHS like other schools under the LEA, is run by the governing body (comprising politicians, parents, civil servants, people from the community and teachers). As an Academy, the school could be run by practically anyone - teachers, parents community, except bureaucrats and politicians.

I am, broadly speaking, in favour of free schools and academies. Any policy that empowers teachers or parents or the local community to build something better than the LEA could do for their children and future generations, has my backing.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
cllrkevinhogg
Hazel Grove Councillor

cllrkevinhogg
13th May 2011 at 6:29AM, Edit: 13th May 2011 at 6:30AM by cllrkevinhogg
There are also major risks associated with this as they will not have the protection of the Council should anything go wrong. I.E storm or fire damage. As I understand it they would have to relocate their students themselves should a minor disaster occur and would be out from the protection of the family of scools run by the Council. They would in other words become the same as a private school so I hope their insurances reflect this as they will own the buildings etc. A loss to the local community that paid for them with no redress.
OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
13th May 2011 at 6:46AM, Edit: 13th May 2011 at 6:50AM by OliverJohnstone
That's something of a slight misrepresentation though, Councillor. Academies must have trusts that are responsible for setting up the insurance and these are established prior to setting up the school. The idea that a school could be burned down and the debt is then transferred onto the local community or the entire body of parents is misconceived. Trustees are responsible for many not for profit groups and organisations in the local community.

Also, the Academy can be covered by the LEA's insurance. I believe is is very common that Academies do indeed buy back into the local authority scheme. Therefore, taking into account the extra funding, in most cases little is being lost regarding insurance.
Coleman
Good Citizen

Coleman
13th May 2011 at 7:55AM
I think Kevin is saying that the school taking ownership of the buildings would be the loss to the local authority!

But the savings in maintainance costs would surely be a massive nett gain, lets face it nothing significant has been spent on improvements in decades so it must be costly keeping the place from crumbling into the ground. (similar to the town hall situation)

I really can't decide whether or not it would be a good move, on the one hand it very much sounds like the plan is essentially to start running the school like a business, which would at least mean that in theory the management side of things can be don in a sensible way. That is of course opposed to 'arse about face' way that anything council related is run.

On the other hand is it really a good idea to open up and educational institute to the risks that any self funding establishment faces? What happens when funds are getting a little short, do they just start working a 4 day week or make classes bigger so they can let a teacher or two go?

Even having said all that, when i went there, the school had no money and managed to teach me something. I can't remember what it was now but they definitely taught me something.
Adora
Good Citizen

Adora
13th May 2011 at 9:45AM

For me, the idea of smashing through the imposed curriculum and freeing teachers from the restrictions of 'set pieces' (teaching only towards exams) thus allowing them to teach in a more creative way is the big advantage for the children. I struggle with the "one size fits all" teaching methods used in this (and many other countries). For example, I know many children learn more when they're out of the class room and running around the countryside and woods!

I also know many teachers and they all seem to feel that their role has become less inspiration and more automated data dumping rather than 'teaching' IYSWIM.

OliverJohnstone
Hazel Grove Councillor

OliverJohnstone
13th May 2011 at 10:17AM
Hear, hear! Well said.
BlueGrover
Good Citizen

BlueGrover
13th May 2011 at 11:34AM
Adora Wrote:

For me, the idea of smashing through the imposed curriculum and freeing teachers from the restrictions of 'set pieces' (teaching only towards exams) thus allowing them to teach in a more creative way is the big advantage for the children. I struggle with the "one size fits all" teaching methods used in this (and many other countries). For example, I know many children learn more when they're out of the class room and running around the countryside and woods!

I also know many teachers and they all seem to feel that their role has become less inspiration and more automated data dumping rather than 'teaching' IYSWIM.

IYSWIM.Stands for?
Adora
Good Citizen

Adora
13th May 2011 at 1:03PM

Blue - it means "If You See What I Mean" - I was concious of the fact that my post was becoming a bit jumbled. I knew what I was trying to say but wasn't convinced I was explaining it clearly. (Rush forum posting in between doing my day job and caring for a sick child and not giving my words my full attention!)
Drifter
14th May 2011 at 8:18AM
IUSWIM means ---if you see what i mean. Does it? oh dear. All this abbreviated nonsense really annoys me. what has happened to the english language?
Adora
Good Citizen

Adora
14th May 2011 at 9:10AM

Yes, those pesky Greeks and Latin folk introducing initialism in to our language!

Perhaps you are familiar with AD for Anno Domini, AM for ante meridiem (before noon) and PM for post meridiem (after noon). More recently, BBC, OK, CIS, KGB, YAFD, LASER, NATO, RADAR, DNA, IRA.....common phrases initialised - how verrrrrrrrrry dare they!

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >>

Tagged With..