Hazel Grove High School News

Jacksons Lane, Hazel Grove, Stockport, SK7 5JX

0 Area has not been reviewed yet

HGHS

This thread was submitted to Hazel Grove

This Thread is Locked

This Thread has been locked by a forum moderator.

<< 1 2 3 4 5 >>

happy
Townsperson

happy
HGHS
19th April 2013 at 12:59PM
Maybe Councillor Hogg can help me here...why if Ms Nolan wanted Academy status (nothing to do with council) then why would stockport council help her advertise for staff why arent the staff shes got happy to stay and stop messing the kids about by all these staff leaving and hiring "newly" qualified as far as I knew a teacher just last yr got sacked for teaching totally the wrong work for a subject so wouldnt you want staff who knew for definate what the hell they were teaching
0 Likes 2 Dislikes  
glenandem
Citizen

glenandem
Re: HGHS
19th April 2013 at 4:17PM
If that's true that's quite worrying if teachers keep leaving, my kids aren't old enough for high school yet but hazel grove high school Is a possible future school and hope its being run properly!
You can't mess with kids education and if Thryre going through teachers like fat kids going through cakes then that can upset and unsteady kids learning?
0 Likes 1 Dislikes  
happy
Townsperson

happy
19th April 2013 at 4:34PM
Believe me I would not recommend any one to put there kids in HGHS the way it is now...Im sorry to say...Ive heard quite alot of teachers didnt want it to go to an academy and alot of staff have left there...when I had an issue I got told by council they couldnt help as it was an academy and out of council control she was independant body.....I got told quite alot that I am shocked about that place
0 Likes 2 Dislikes  
rm103167
Villager

rm103167
20th April 2013 at 8:00AM
I don't recognise the picture that is being painted here. My children (and myself for that matter) attended HGHS and received a perfectly good education that has set them up well. What's more, clearly the school is better now than it's ever been - here's the latest Ofsted Report http://www.hazelgrovehigh.co.uk/user/74/152864.pdf

It really saddens me that people feel the need to diss their local school when what they should be doing is rallying round and making it even better.

Got a beef? Get involved, don't just snipe from the side lines.

In the words of Lilly Tomlin “I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody.”

2 Likes 0 Dislikes  
happy
Townsperson

happy
20th April 2013 at 2:38PM, Edit: 20th April 2013 at 2:58PM by happy
And as someone who has been in schools when "ofsted day" is happening I have the info to not take much notice of what u read on ofsted reports as "they are done to make things look good and its a show" So as far as rallying around to make a school better why should I as it should be good in the first place to teach our kids!!!!!!!!!! Its all about Statistics and what paperwork looks like now and not about our children learning. It isnt "dissing" its telling truth. And I did go in the school and confront them with my views. And I will still stand by my statement "Not to recommend there" (and I do know others who are now sending kids elsewhere, So I am not only 1 who thinks this about the "Local school")Im just wondering is she part of council or not thats all????????? That was actually my question in first place as my friend is now annoyed at her child getting yet another teacher in a subjsct there????
0 Likes 0 Dislikes  
vulcanman
Townsperson

vulcanman
20th April 2013 at 3:01PM
I think you will find that turnover of staff in any high school is higher than you would initially expect, but that's all about career progression as newly qualified teachers get experience and apply for jobs with additional responsibility such as a Head of Department.

From what I have heard, the most recently appointed teachers to HGHS are NOT newly qualified, but are those with experience in teaching A level which of course will help the rest of the school as well.

As for job advertisements, I think you will find that the school has paid to advertise with the council.

So in summary, I too don't recognise Happy's story ...
2 Likes 1 Dislikes  
Norma_Stitts
Supervised

Norma_Stitts
20th April 2013 at 3:55PM, Edit: 20th April 2013 at 4:12PM by Norma_Stitts
I cannot read 3 of the posts on this thread but reading between the lines from the posters whose views I can read it sounds as if someone is banging their anti-HGHS drum again?

Is it about uniforms? Or is it the old chestnut of being upset that their child has been stopped from having the reward of school trips due to attendance being too low? (See the 'school uniforms' thread). An odd stance for someone that has previously claimed to work in a school so should understand the virtues of good attendance. I also note references to teachers leaving? It doesn't matter who is teaching - if the kids aren't there they aren't learning anything are they?
0 Likes 1 Dislikes  
glenandem
Citizen

glenandem
20th April 2013 at 4:36PM
I'm a little confused here too Norma, I'm reading happy painting a picture of inexperienced teachers coming and going like anyone's business but then Vulcan man saying there is a turnover but no more ins or outs than most other schools and the teachers they get in are a level not fresh student turned teachers!
People need to be carefull putting schools down maybe because they've had a bad experience,can I ask are you the poster from a while ago about the school uniform problems?
I seem to remember they have signs outside with They're results or something's, you can't fiddle with kids results can you as a school?
1 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Torky
Villager

Torky
20th April 2013 at 5:35PM
Why is it that Poynton, Bramhall and Marple achieve far superior results? Better teachers? more affluent families? brighter children? Does HGHS encourage take up of easier subjects so their overall quantity not quality of results looks better?

The figures below show the percentage of pupils achieving 5 A-C inc Eng. and Maths and those achieving the English Baccalaureate. What are HGHS kids getting their GCSE's in, knitting?

Bramhall High School 73% - 33%
Hazel Grove High School 70% - 3%
Marple Hall School 75% - 30%
Poynton - 69% - 33%

Personally I believe the school needs to improve the quality of teaching and if that means getting rid of the dead wood I.e. the poor teachers, then great!
1 Likes 0 Dislikes  
Torky
Villager

Torky
20th April 2013 at 5:44PM

Just to prove that this school is below average

Students achieving the English Baccalaureate
Hazel Grove High School     3%
Local education authority average     12.6%
England average     15.4%

0 Likes 0 Dislikes