Hazel Grove High School News

Jacksons Lane, Hazel Grove, Stockport, SK7 5JX

0 Area has not been reviewed yet

Hazel Grove High now officially an Academy.

This thread was submitted to Hazel Grove

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 >>

BlueGrover
Good Citizen

BlueGrover
Re: Hazel Grove High now officially an Academy.
14th March 2012 at 4:33PM
Am I the only parent who has yet to receive anything official from Ms Nolan regarding the changes and the implications for our children? Just wondering.......
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
vulcanman
Townsperson

vulcanman
14th March 2012 at 4:41PM
Got my letter last week ... Friday I think ... hence my comments earlier. The text of the letter is also on the school website.
Robot69
Citizen

Robot69
14th March 2012 at 5:50PM
BlueGrover Wrote:

Am I the only parent who has yet to receive anything official from Ms Nolan regarding the changes and the implications for our children? Just wondering.......

Perhaps you are waiting for your child to bring the letter home! (if they haven't binned it already)
HG-21
Banned
14th March 2012 at 6:38PM
Drifter Wrote:

So to imagine that these illegitimate voices on a website forum speak for the majority is profoundly foolish – we (the majority) got what we wanted because it was the right thing to do.
If the petty-minded, short-sighted, small-minded, parochial, back-biting people who continue to pontificate were to stop for but a moment and realise that the additional advantages that this position brings to the school is to better the education and welfare of the students at the school rather than to serve the self-aggrandisement and personal ends of themselves, we would all be better served by the school and our councillors.

Pipe down you piece of crazy. YOU are on this forum posting. The people in this thread have children which attend the school. Other people have attended the school in this thread. Some have children that will attend the school. Some didn't attend and won't have any links.
The forum is a section of the local area, each person with a differing perspective. Which makes the thoughts and idea's democratic.
Perhaps you could actually contribute like a sane person and explain clearly the benefits of the new academy status - for people to hear and respond.

I attend HGHS and thought it was ok, if I lived local and it worked for my life I'd send my kids there. Ideally I won't.
Bob on there Limecat, Mr Bean was inspirational perfect word. I had a teacher (whom was new during my stint there) called Mr Street he again was very good, fair and understood that we were kids.
I actually remember loitering on Torky park on a Friday night and he was out walking his dog or something. One of the bigger lads we were with said to him "Can I call you a prick if we're not in school?" His response was something along the lines of "Yeah sure, you fat t**t". TOUCHE!
Oily Rag
Drifter
14th March 2012 at 11:13PM
Is it not remarkable that whilst so many here have striven to talk-down the school in their inarticulate English, very few have sought to ask what this academy will bring. The basic answer is here: http://www.hazelgrovehigh.co.uk/Portals/0/Forthcoming%20Events/Accademy%20statement%20120312%20KHa%20On%20behalf%20of%20the%20Governing%20Body.pdf according to the Chair of Governors – or whatever they are called now. Realistically, one must ask – given that this is an official statement, made by a school official, on the schools website, either this is the truth OR you (not I) must call this guy a liar. I for one, having done a great deal of research on the issue, accept all that he says as the evidence from other comparable conversion bear-out his predictions.
On another more moralistic matter: During the schools consultation meetings, the presenters and the Headteacher said that they estimated that they would gain an increase in income of something like £450k. Even the most charitable of us grinned at this fantasy. However it would seem that this has proven to be a huge underestimation! So the question we must ask is how can Stockport Council justify holding back that much money – which was given to the council by central government for the education of our children. As one who has inside knowledge of how Stockport deals with schools I can say that schools have to ‘buy-back’ in the form of contracts with the council, or its contractors, for all of the services it purchases. In effect the difference between what is sent to Stockport and what Stockport pass on to its schools; blithely – if not cheekily, called ‘The Top-Slice’, simply is a profit on an unearned income to the council. Is it any wonder that the council don’t want schools to become academies? There are people in the CYPD (the town hall education directorate) being paid over £100,000 per year – where do you reckon all that money comes from? Is it from money that was sent to Stockport to educate our children?
In response to your question; I am a parent. My child left Hazel Grove High recently with eleven A’s and three *’s at GCSE. But I am most proud of the ‘hard work gives rewards’ ethic that the school has instilled. Simply told, my child engaged with the school and was inspired by the teachers. I know many other examples of this and given the opportunity both my child and I would wish to just say Thank You Hazel Grove High. To those who on this site have said that they are considering not sending their child to the school – it’s your loss. How much harder is your child going to have to work to catch-up with the Hazel Grove High kids? Even those who are decrying the school recognise the rapid improvement in standards and exam results.
PVish
Drifter
15th March 2012 at 3:12PM
Paragraphs! Paragraphs!....my eyes, my eyes...
Limecat
Banned
15th March 2012 at 10:13PM
Drifter Wrote:

Paragraphs! Paragraphs!....my eyes, my eyes...

LMAO. It's an impenetrable wall of text.

As it happens my Mother does the accounts for a local 'academy' and has done for almost a quarter of a century, since it was a mere school. She is dead against it and has seen the manipulation that has taken place already.

For the prat that posted previously about results, he seriously needs to get a grip. It's a given that grades increase each year. Kids are not taught the subject, they are taught how to answer exam questions. The fact you get 'points' for your workings is a sodding joke.

I can give you 2 examples, both are ME (deano will be all over this);

1) A few years back I was at college and had about a 30% attendance rate. I was told that I had to 'pass' a module to stay on the course. I got 100%. Apparently 7 people in the country did so?

2) I failed a maths part of my HNC as I 'didn't show my working'. As it happens every answer was correct but I didn't get enough points for 'working'. Just to prove a point, I sat it again in front of the tutor without a calculator and multiplied to 3 figures so I could tell her to get fudged.

Are kids smarter today? No. I used to go out with a teacher, she admits what I say.    

I have my faults but to suggest that a kid today that passes Maths is on a par to me is an insult.
Coleman
Good Citizen

Coleman
15th March 2012 at 10:30PM
Careful, you'll get your head stuck going through doors if you're not!

You're right though, exams blatantly get easier each year! You only have to have a conversation with a teenager to see they are no more intelligent then they were!
BlueGrover
Good Citizen

BlueGrover
16th March 2012 at 8:49AM
Remember log tables, cosines and tangents.........?
A trained chimp could cope with a GCSE nowadays.
Adora
Good Citizen

Adora
16th March 2012 at 9:42AM

and Calculus - what WAS that all about?
<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 >>

Tagged With..