This thread was submitted to Hazel Grove

<< 1 2 3 4 >>

Fi_nix
Top Reviewer

Fi_nix
Re: Early finish for HGHS on Friday.
25th July 2013 at 10:00PM, Edit: 25th July 2013 at 10:01PM by Fi_nix
Whoa! Group hug!

I think the school DOES need to take some responsibility. For years, the summer holiday last day has ended in mayhem. A few years ago, Torkington Park was swarming with police, flood lights and news crews, so it's not like the school don't know this kind of gathering is going to take place!

The are a number of hard-line measures the school could take but they opt not to. They could, for example, have staff members patrolling the known meeting places, identifying who is there and hauling their adolescent asses in for punishments and notes on files, contacting parents etc. They could, for example, arrange a staggered finish. They could, for example, work with the police to move gathering groups along, as they do in other authorities.

The fact that the children know there are few, if any, consequences, suggests a total lack of regard or respect for themselves, their school or their community. Do the kids from Stocky Grammar or Cheadle Hulme school set things alight on their last day - no. The headmaster & headmistress are all over them and they know it! Your argument might be that the parents should instill pride and respect in the children but school have an absolute duty to convey those things in their school community and it is from their school gates that these children pour.

Flame away - my opinions often take me for a swim against the current.

1 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Norma_Stitts
Supervised

Norma_Stitts
25th July 2013 at 11:39PM
Group hug? I was on for at least third base before you interrupted, if not a home run... rotfl

As for the notion that teachers would patrol areas on a Friday night, you are having a laugh. It's not in their contract. I say that as a former Unison rep, albeit not accredited, you have no chance of pulling that off. The most you could do is ban them from 'Prom' assuming it hasn't already happened that is? I remember going out briefly after my last day at HGHS whilst in a group, I didn't drink at the time (oh, how times change!).

You can hardly draw a comparison between Stockport Grammar and a state funded HGHS. As for Cheadle Hulme High School, my Mother works there so suggesting its perfect I know categorically is a falsification of facts. I cannot say too much on the matter as naturally I do not want to land my Mother in hot water but they have similar issues.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
slim
Townsperson

slim
26th July 2013 at 7:08AM
Mmm schools should do this schools should do that teachers should patrol known meeting places ? How about something radical here goes parents take response ability for there kids teach them what is and isn't acceptable and sort them out when they cross the line ?
Fi_nix
Top Reviewer

Fi_nix
26th July 2013 at 10:13AM
Home / school partnership? Parents can be a damn sight more effective if they can work WITH the teachers and school have a damn sight more authority if they know the parents are working with them!

Other schools manage this last day thing very well. So could HGHS but they have to put themselves out there in order to do so. Hiding in the staff room when they know full-well what's happening outside the gates is giving the children carte blanche to act like feral animals.

Blame the parents is the easy line to trot out here. Parents, as I say, are more effective when working in partnership with school. Parents can teach children respect but it all goes out of the child's head when they get with their peers. Always has and always will.

happy
Townsperson

happy
26th July 2013 at 10:46AM, Edit: 26th July 2013 at 10:46AM by happy
Teachers actually stand every night when school finishes at HGHS at the dorchester shops and at the little walkthrough at top of Penryn to apparently check no-one is smoking in school uniform!!!??????!!!!!! so just a little walk down to that field to move the kids on wouldnt of been much different to that Id say....and Ms Nolan wouldnt of give too hoots anyway as it was her last day (she would any other time though) she was always giving assemblies on "correct behaviour in school uniform".
Anyway my child wasnt involved so Im "happy" as my child does show respect and I do set boundries to teach right from wrong.
:)
sam39
Villager

sam39
26th July 2013 at 12:14PM
Kids have always let off steam on their last day of school - and always will. They think they are free, how wrong they are will soon become apparent. Although I dont condone vandalism and bad behaviour, it happens in these circumstances. I do, however, get uptight about the criminal damage caused by marauding gangs of youths on Halloween. This is an american import. In my youth we made nothing of it - we were looking forward to bonfire night instead. October 31st now leads to eggs being thrown, windows broken, fences damaged and verbal abuse; With no excuse!
Belvoir
Townsperson

Belvoir
26th July 2013 at 5:57PM
A few weeks ago my son who lives in Davenport witnessed pupils from Stockport Grammar School running riot around the Davenport area in the road/banging on cars/shouting and screaming!!
sunflowerdee
Townsperson

sunflowerdee
28th July 2013 at 12:23AM
Norma stitts, do we really want to read about your sex life, third base and home run? Are these pizza take aways?
hellonpluto
Villager

hellonpluto
28th July 2013 at 10:05PM
I blame the parents, obviously they have failed to bring up their children properly. There are so many children who need a good kick up the bum and clip around the ear hole. Most kids have no respect for anything except for themselves. Its a shame but the parents have no self respect either so don't really care if they are setting fires, littering causing agro in the area.

Always makes me wonder why some people have kids.

Pull them in to line at early age and you'll be fine.
BlueGrover
Good Citizen

BlueGrover
29th July 2013 at 10:14AM
Just to highlight some of the views above. On Saturday a youth rode across the pitch while the game was in progress. When asked to move on he greeted players and spectators to a volley of abuse. Asking around afterwards, turns out he is very local to the ground. Police will be informed.
<< 1 2 3 4 >>

Tagged With..