HG Cricket Club Page

<< 1 2 3 >>

BlueGrover
Good Citizen

BlueGrover
Re: HG Cricket Club Page
1st August 2012 at 9:50AM
Coleman Wrote:

I call it Obscure because they don't teach it in schools, they don't show it on tv, etc.

Obscure may not be quite the right word, but on a ranked list of sports by public knowledge/popularity cricket is way, way down the list behind sports such as, Football, Tennis, Rugby, etc. Even Snooker and Darts get many times more coverage than Cricket does!

I'm not bothered what sports get coverage on here, as i said i don't follow any local amateur sports teams. I just found it strange that Cricket got covered before other moor popular sports. But as you say the teams asked, so that's that answered!
My lad is taught cricket at HGHS, the Under 13's are Stockport champions.

Sky cover every ball that is bowled by England, Test Match coverage must be upwards of 40 hours for a five day game. If you add in the one day internations, CB40 and 20/20 games then cricket coverage is massive for a sport that you think is ranked behind tennis, darts, snooker and rugby. Do you think advertisers would expend the finance if they thought people were not watching?

Three Premier League games a week may not add up to a days coverage of Test cricket.In summer, cricket is king, winter belongs to the Premier League.

Tennis is ony big when we have Wimbledon, Snooker only watched at the Crucible and I can't tell you when Darts gets a mention, is it New Year?
1 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
SatiricalSloth
Top Photographer

SatiricalSloth
1st August 2012 at 10:08AM, Edit: 1st August 2012 at 10:09AM by SatiricalSloth
Coleman Wrote:

I call it Obscure because they don't teach it in schools, they don't show it on tv (terrestrial), etc.

Obscure may not be quite the right word, but on a ranked list of sports by public knowledge/popularity cricket is way, way down the list behind sports such as, Football, Tennis, Boxing, Rugby, etc. Even Snooker and Darts get many times more coverage than Cricket does!

I'm not bothered what sports get coverage on here, as i said i don't follow any local amateur sports teams. I just found it strange that Cricket got covered before other moor popular sports. But as you say the teams asked, so that's that answered!

I remember doing Cricket at high school, I am sure I have seen cricket advertised on (terrestrial) TV (I don't watch it my self, as I have no interest).

However, I do not remember any Boxing, Rugby, Snooker or darts from my school days. But maybe we just went to different schools?
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Coleman
Good Citizen

Coleman
1st August 2012 at 11:12AM
Obviously things have changed with regards schools! When i was at HGHS they didn't even have a cricket pitch, let alone attempt to teach it! And of the 30+ kids in my form 2 of them liked/spoke about or played cricket.

As for Tv coverage, i know sky do some coverage (no where near as much as some other sports) but then sky sports show virtually every sport i can think of, I did say it's not shown on terrestrial tv whereas football is, boxing is, tennis is (even if it only Wimbledon), Snooker is again it's only really twice a year but twice is more then non! Darts i'll admit is rarely on terrestrial tv fair enough.

I don't see why anyone is getting so worked up about me saying that cricket is an obscure sport, for one it is (like it or not) not a very popular sport, more people are in to golf and fishing than Cricket! And as i say it wasn't even part of school PE for years (even basket ball was at the time), albeit it sounds like that has changed!
Dave
Drifter
1st August 2012 at 12:57PM
Cricket not on terrestrial TV? Have a look at Channel 5 at 7:00 for five evenings starting tomorrow and I suspect that you will find cricket.

Albeit only the highlights but how much football is shown in full on terrestrial TV?
TwistedBanana
Townsperson

TwistedBanana
1st August 2012 at 1:04PM
I think Coleman you are regretting your original post. As many have pointed out cricket is a huge sport in this country, and the fact it is on Sky as oppossed to terestrial is an illustration of how big. Sky show cricket as a headline sport on Sky sports 1. They wouldnt do this unless there was the advertising revenues coiming in. They want to do the same with Wimbledon and the FA cup final as well fo example but these are covered by some sort of BBC license protection.
I am not sure of your age but i went to HGHS between 1979 and 1984 and we had avery succesful school cricket teams during that period. Our home games were played on either a fresh cut strip or the astro turf cricket track at the school. This may have gone into rack and ruin as quite often which sports are dominant depends on the mind-set of the PE teacher. We had very good volleyball teams during this period as the PE teacher (Mr Collins) was big on this. luckily he liked his cricket as well along with Mr Spear (science teacher) who also loved cricket.

You used the comparison to golf and fishing which isnt really fair. Both these sports can be played by the youngest and oldest members of out society. Although Blue Grover is testament to the fact that cricket can also span the older generatios - sorry Blue
Coleman
Good Citizen

Coleman
1st August 2012 at 2:05PM, Edit: 1st August 2012 at 2:24PM by Coleman
I don't regret any of my posts, Cricket is probably 5th or 6th most popular sport in the uk and gets very little coverage anywhere (although more than i thought if Channel 5 show it). Add to that the fact that certainly in the 90's it wasn't even on the school sport curriculum. And i think my assessment that it is not a main stream sport is fairly accurate.

As i have said, i've got no problem with the sport, i have no problem with it having it's own section on her, etc. I simply surprised it has president on here over other more popular sports! But then as has been explained to me that is in part because people on here asked for it where as they haven't for other sports, which is fine by me!

I do find it comical that people seem to be getting so irate because someone is pointing out to them that their favoured sport is not the most popular in the country! Does it really matter? I used to play Roller and Ice hockey which in this country is very obscure, and far from being upset by that fact i actually quite liked being involved in something that not everyone else had heard of or tried!

I have actually stumbled across some info that suggests that cricket is in fact the 8th most popular sport in the uk, at least it was in 2003! Ipsos MORI Not a forgone conclusion especially as the date is 9 years old but an indicator non the less!
Robot69
Citizen

Robot69
1st August 2012 at 2:58PM
Easy boys, let him have his rant and try to back it up using a 9yr old survey, straight after the RU WC, that only records peoples interest as in comes to their recollection.

I do love surveys and stats!
TwistedBanana
Townsperson

TwistedBanana
1st August 2012 at 2:59PM
I don't really see anyone being irate, i think they were pointing out that your post was misguided. I only saw one response that was, for want of a better way of putting it "blunt".

You have said the cricket wasnt on the curriculum in the nineties (is this when you attended). I explained that sports at school are generally dictated by the PE teacher. There was certainly a fall off during this period, a direct result of playing field sell off during the administration of the eighties and nineties and the funding cuts imposed on schools. Cricket unfortunately isn't cheap but clubs survived and prospered. Every village in our locality has a club, some more than one. Hazel Grove (2), Bramhall (at least two), offerton, poynton, marple, hawk green, woodford, high lane, disley, stockport. This carries on as you move further away village by village. This despite the upkeep required and the expense of running these clubs. The attendances at these grounds on a saturday are higher than for football games on torky park (i am involved in local football as well) The Grapes pub does a good trade during the summer months with both Hazel Grove and Norbury running from here. There is a healthy rivalry, and Hazel grove have been running from here for at least 40 years, not sure about Norburys longevity. They are embedded in village life and the history is up on the walls of HGCC for all to see stretching back 150 years or so. As Bluegrover suggested, between the clubs there are around 100 children involved week in week out - i imagine only football could touch this on a village level. this is replicated through all villages in the local vicinity.

We all know that stats that show sports popularity aren't a true reflection. Fishing numbers are based on licences not competitive spectator sports, golf is similar based on membership. For most of the participants (especially fishing) they are pastimes not sports (no disrespect to either, i hope i worded that well enough for them to see where i was coming from)When it comes to TV viewings figures, then cricket is firmly embedded in the second tier with only football being in the top tier.

Neither golf or fishing (i use them because you did) are on the school curriculum, i suspect they may have the same issues with equipment and facilities that cricket does :).

It has been explained that any club is welcome to an area on the forum subject to request, and i do know that your initial post was in relation to this, unfortunately your use of the word "obscure" has gained a reaction and your defence hasn't really been solid. I suggest adopting a straight bat and a solid defence as your current poor stance and airy shots will see you taking that long, lonely, silent walk back to the pavillion

1 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Robot69
Citizen

Robot69
1st August 2012 at 3:05PM
I liked my 'blunt' approach, but well put. Now lets move on!

BTW Cricket is the 2nd most popular sport world wide!
0 Likes 1 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Coleman
Good Citizen

Coleman
1st August 2012 at 3:12PM
I did say that the word obscure probably wasn't the right one! Maybe Less well know would have been a better way to put it.

As i keep saying i have no problem with cricket, personally i don't like it because if find it boring. (just my view) but i know a fair amount don't so fair play. But i do stand by my thoughts that it is odd that Cricket would represented on the forum before other more popular sports like Football (it is our national sport after all), but i suspect that may be a reflection of the number of forum members who are of advancing years (no offence intended)!

For what its worth i don't consider Fishing a sport myself, this is despite being a keen fisherman myself, but as far as technical definitions are concerned i believe it is classed as such. Golf (which i also play once in a while) i'm undecided about but i think i'm edging towards considering that one a sport.

I had no intention of hijacking this thread, but as per usual some people have chosen to answer a simple question/observation with mudslinging and not being one to take such thing i felt compelled to make my point clearer (maybe unsuccessfully).
<< 1 2 3 >>