The Blue Lagoon

This thread was submitted to Hazel Grove

<< 1 2 3 >>

BlueGrover
Good Citizen

BlueGrover
The Blue Lagoon
23rd July 2008 at 6:11AM
Chatting with friends the other day we were discussing The Blue Lagoon in Gt Moor.
It's hard to take nowadays in that Gt Moor had a open air lido, the coldest water in the world and a strange green colour to the water!

Just wondering if any of the older peeps on here had any memories of "The BluLa."
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Quote Report  
Pauly
Villager

Pauly
Re: The Blue Lagoon
23rd July 2008 at 10:21AM
Remember it well remember once going there having forgotten to bring any trunks (was about 13 at the time) and just wearing my white underpants (yuk!). What I didn't realise was how transparent they become when wet... loads of girls there and I daren't get out of the pool - nearly froze to death!!!
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Grover65
Townsperson

Grover65
23rd July 2008 at 12:08PM
My work pal and I were remembering the Blue Lagoon just a couple of weeks ago!
She's a couple of years older than me and lived closer, so remembered it well. I think I was only taken there once, when I was pretty young. I remember playing in the paddling pool bit.
I don't even remember who I was there with! My main memory is that I saw an earwig for the first time ever and someone told me that they crawl into your ears lol!
As the years went by and I passed where the passage to the Blue Lagoon used to be, I began to think I'd imagined the place.
What a shame it's gone. A place like that must have been very popular with the older kids and teenagers.
me
Drifter
23rd July 2008 at 6:31PM
where was it? I never knew there was a pool in great moor sorry,I thought it was in cheadle!
I must be to young to remember.hahaha i wish...
BlueGrover
Good Citizen

BlueGrover
24th July 2008 at 7:19AM
Guest Wrote:

where was it? I never knew there was a pool in great moor sorry,I thought it was in cheadle!

I used to get to it via Castle Farm Lane. Can't remember when it closed but I think it was on the site where Withypool drive is now.

The pool in Cheadle was The Galleon.
grover
Townsperson

grover
24th July 2008 at 8:10AM, Edit: 24th July 2008 at 9:02AM by grover
We used to get in off Sandhurst Road, behind Mile End School. It would be around what is now Bryone Drive. And I remember the boats on the lake and think they were paddle boats, but there the memory fades.
me
Drifter
26th July 2008 at 7:36AM
BlueGrover Wrote:

Guest Wrote:

I used to get to it via Castle Farm Lane. Can't remember when it closed but I think it was on the site where Withypool drive is now.

The pool in Cheadle was The Galleon.

Thank you, i do remember the galleon , dont remember going to the blue lagoon, iv asked my mum and she said she took us a couple of times.
BlueGrover
Good Citizen

BlueGrover
28th July 2008 at 5:21AM
Just going off the issue a little.......

Was there a boating lake at Woodlands Park in Offerton or did I dream it?
TeeBin
Drifter
28th July 2008 at 1:51PM
No I don't think you did, I remember a boating lake and a paddling pool on Woodlands park in the early '70's. There were never any boats on it by then tho!
ex offerton gir
Drifter
29th July 2008 at 7:50AM
Guest Wrote:

No I don't think you did, I remember a boating lake and a paddling pool on Woodlands park in the early '70's. There were never any boats on it by then tho!

There were little peddle boats that held two, but being young and daft we always tried to get more in, more often than not one of us would fall in, good job it was'nt deep. How good were those days it was all "just fun" except when we were caught wagging school!
billybunter
Drifter
29th July 2008 at 12:24PM
There was always paddle boats on the 'boating lake', and a cafe next to the slippy paddling pool. How many of the readers remember old Joe who rented out the pitch and put gear from his little wooden shed behind the cafe, also the vast amounts of folk using the place on a weekend. Maybe they should open the cafe again at Woodbank hall as well...
<< 1 2 3 >>