0 Area has not been reviewed yet

Has anyone been through Disley today?

This thread was submitted to Hazel Grove

Norma_Stitts
Supervised

Norma_Stitts
Has anyone been through Disley today?
23rd February 2013 at 6:37PM
As per title, this may be a longshot but has anyone driven through Disley today via the A6 and do they have an explanation for what appeared to be random localised freezing on a row of bushes for about 10'?

It was very surreal, no snow, no ice, nothing. Then a random 10' or so run of bushes with huge icicles hanging off them. Not some crap decorative ones, they weren't moving as traffic passed them by.

Better still, did anyone get a picture or are able to do so? I didn't have my 450D on me at the time, the cybershot 'accident cam' was dead and so was my phone. pissed-off
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
RichT
Townsperson

RichT
Re: Has anyone been through Disley today?
23rd February 2013 at 6:59PM
I have seen this happen before when a puddle was at the side of the road. The spray from vehicles going through it the water drips from the bushes and freezes.
SatiricalSloth
Top Photographer

SatiricalSloth
23rd February 2013 at 7:21PM
Is this what you are talking about? Link Here

RichT is right it's the spray from vehicles going through the puddle (which you can see in the picture). It appeared to only have been buses and trucks driving through it though, cars just drove around it. (Also plenty of people stopping to take a good look and picture)

As you say though, it was very surreal. Just this one isolated outbreak.
Norma_Stitts
Supervised

Norma_Stitts
23rd February 2013 at 7:53PM
RichT Wrote:

I have seen this happen before when a puddle was at the side of the road. The spray from vehicles going through it the water drips from the bushes and freezes.

I have genuinely never seen anything like it. I wondered if someone had popped some 'funny stuff' in my Richmond Superkings. LOL.

SatiricalSloth Wrote:

Is this what you are talking about? Link Here

RichT is right it's the spray from vehicles going through the puddle (which you can see in the picture). It appeared to only have been buses and trucks driving through it though, cars just drove around it. (Also plenty of people stopping to take a good look and picture)

As you say though, it was very surreal. Just this one isolated outbreak.

I tip my hat to you Sir. grin

That was exactly the scene I had spotted.

I like to think that I am smarter than the average Badger but how does that area 'freeze' when it wasn't sub zero? Infact, when I drove past I had the window down, wearing a t-shirt etc.

There wasn't a 'puddle' when I went past which was maybe around 5-6PM?

Great picture! Glad it wasn't just me that thought it was a bit strange.
SatiricalSloth
Top Photographer

SatiricalSloth
23rd February 2013 at 8:11PM, Edit: 23rd February 2013 at 8:14PM by SatiricalSloth
I'm not entirely sure how it started, but it has been there since at least yesterday, as I was told about it and visited today with my camera.

Judging by the length of some of the icicles it could of been a fair few days (or a lot of trucks and buses), but I actually court sight of a bus spraying it, with a lot of water, so it is obvious how it was created when you see it happening.

So it is just the constant water splashing it and freezing as it runs down the Icicles that keeps them growing. The pond/lake at the entrance to Lyme Park was also (partially) frozen so it was obviously cold enough to freeze at some point.

I've uploaded a second photo to show a close-up of the icicles, you can see how the branches are completely covered in ice. Link again

*edit* The thing I didn't understand though, why the puddle never froze over, but the pavement, lampost and bushes did. I guess the constant disturbance from vehicles prevented it?
Norma_Stitts
Supervised

Norma_Stitts
23rd February 2013 at 8:21PM
SatiricalSloth Wrote:

I'm not entirely sure how it started, but it has been there since at least yesterday, as I was told about it and visited today with my camera.

Judging by the length of some of the icicles it could of been a fair few days (or a lot of trucks and buses), but I actually court sight of a bus spraying it, with a lot of water, so it is obvious how it was created when you see it happening.

So it is just the constant water splashing it and freezing as it runs down the Icicles that keeps them growing. The pond/lake at the entrance to Lyme Park was also (partially) frozen so it was obviously cold enough to freeze at some point.

I've uploaded a second photo to show a close-up of the icicles, you can see how the branches are completely covered in ice. Link again

I understand the basic principles of it with the whole 'stalactite' thing as I used to spend time ab'ing and climbing out of mines but that is some odd stuff.

I had a look through your pictures, hope you do not mind, and I found them interesting. You could class me as 'all the gear but no idea'. PMSL.
HG-21
Banned
24th February 2013 at 11:47AM
I assume the puddle wouldn't freeze firstly because of the cars going through it disturbing the process, an average car probably wouldn't splash the water too far. Also there is more water there so it would take longer or colder temperatures to do so.
When the water is sprayed onto the bushes it would separate and then become colder with there being less of it, as it ran down the bushes it would slowly freeze then become more frequent as it touched colder parts etc etc
RichT
Townsperson

RichT
24th February 2013 at 2:39PM
I like the photos
Possibly the wind chill would freeze the bushes if the ground temp is too warm to freeze the puddle.

Part of..