0 Area has not been reviewed yet

Portwood Round-about

This thread was submitted to Stockport

SatiricalSloth
Top Photographer

SatiricalSloth
Portwood Round-about
13th August 2012 at 8:21PM
Portwood roundabout is starting to do my head in with the placement of the cones. Some of them seem to be activity positioned in the most dangerous places possible!

When you're entering from St. Mary's way they have cones on the right hand side when the left lane splits into two. Normally the left lane will have priority as that is the lane that is splitting off into two, however with the cones in the right-hand lane, logically the right hand lane follows the cones and flows into right-hand split. The problem comes when the person in the left hand lane decides he (or she) will follow the road markings and continue into left-hand split, almost coursing a crash. This also disrupts the flow of traffic in the right hand lane.

This wouldn't be as big of a problem if it wasn't for the fact the workmen like to keep you on your toes by changing the cones to the other side closing off the left hand split, meaning you have no idea which lane you are meant to be in. Not to mention the fact that closing off the tiny slither of a section on the right-hand side is pointless anyway, due to the fact there are 4 lanes on the roundabout, making 3 with the current road works, the same as the entrance to the roundabout without the cones.

I cannot wait until these road works have been completed so the madness can finally end.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Quote Report  
Coleman
Good Citizen

Coleman
Re: Portwood Round-about
14th August 2012 at 9:28AM
I've used Portwood a few times since the road works started and admittedly you have to give it a little thought as you approach, but it has had decent enough signage when ever i've been through. Providing you read the signs in place it's dead easy!

The only issue, and this applies to when there are no roadworks here too is that maybe half the people using the roundabout don't know how to navigate one correctly. If i had a pound for every time i've been going around Portwood and seen some idiot cut across 2 or more of the lanes in one go or go around in the outside lane and not turn off for several exits, etc.
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Serenity
Citizen

Serenity
14th August 2012 at 10:25AM
I must admit I've never been very good on roundabouts (of any kind)I've always been confused by which lane I should or should not be in, perhaps it stems from hating them when I learning to drive and I've probably never really got over the fear.

But to be fair Coleman sometimes its hard to pre-judge what lane you want to be in when you're not local to the area and your trying to keep up with the speed that some idiots seems to want to go at these days.

Isn't Portwood the roundabout where 2 lines indicate Stockport Town centre and then one changes and your suddenly heading towards Bredbury.

Another scratch your head roundabout is the Bredbury roundabout that leads onto the M60 motorway, nothing wrong with the roundabout, but once you come off the roundabout your suddenly in the fast lane of the M60. Who's going at that speed when just leaving a roundabout. Probably the same idiots who speed around the Portwood roundabout.
1 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Coleman
Good Citizen

Coleman
14th August 2012 at 10:48AM
Portwood is one of the more difficult ones, they changed some of the lanes a few years back which helped a little, prior to that it didn't follow any sort of logic at all.

I know someone who took several attempts to pass their test (10ish years ago) and the times they failed it was always on that roundabout!

I know what you mean about the roundabout at J25! It has to be the most stupid and dangerous junction ever. I can only assume that it was cheaper to do that then to build the junction so you join on the correct side.

It's not too bad if you have clear space to accelerate when joining because the slip road is fairly long, but when you are joining behind a van or truck and they only manage to get up to 55/60mph it can be a little hairy!
JoJo
Villager

JoJo
14th August 2012 at 2:31PM
I'll admit that I am one of the people that just cannot navigate Portwood roundabout at all. I've only been driving for two years and have never struggled particularly with roundabouts but Portwood just throws me so much so that I avoid it at every opportunity. I'm not one of the numpties that cuts across lanes - I will go off at the exit of the lane I am in (even if it's wrong) but it does seem overly difficult to drive around, or maybe I'm just stupid.

Does anyone have any idea when the works will be completed?
SatiricalSloth
Top Photographer

SatiricalSloth
31st August 2012 at 6:21PM
The overhead signs are back up now, hopefully we can get back to normal!