Stockports Olympians welcome home event

27th September 2012

This event was submitted to Hazel Grove

SatiricalSloth Like 0 Disike 0 Reply Quote Report Subscribe Share This Post
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn MySpace Digg
Reddit StumbleUpon Delicious Google Yahoo

27th September 2012 at 12:03PM Be the first to comment 
Stockports Olympians welcome home event
Just noticed this on the Hazel Grove twitter, haven't heard of it until now so thought I'd share it.

The page says:

Local people are being invited to celebrate the achievements of their local Paralympians, Olympians, official Olympic volunteers (known as Games Makers) and Torchbearers at a special ‘welcome home’ event.

People are invited to line the pavements outside the Town Hall on Edward Street on Thursday 27th September from 4pm to 5pm, to honour their heroes.

Stockport saw 20 athletes with links to the borough take part in the recent Games. For seven of them it was their first appearance at the Olympic or Paralympic Games and collectively the team brought home nine medals.

Councillor Martin Candler, Deputy Leader of Stockport Council, said: “The Olympic and Paralympic Games have captured the imagination of the whole country. We want to bring that home to Stockport and give local people the chance to recognise the success of the borough’s Olympians, Paralympians, Games Makers and Torchbearers.

“Everyone is invited to welcome their heroes home, celebrate and be inspired to carry on the Olympic spirit in Stockport – to help make us a happier and healthier borough into the future.”

Stockport residents who were Games Makers and haven’t yet contacted the Council are being encouraged to get in touch so their contribution can also be celebrated.

Link: Residents Invited to Welcome Home Olympic and Paralympic Heroes

I would of gone my self, having been part of the Olympic torch visiting the Grove, as well as being part of the crowd in the Olympic Victory Parade in London. Shame I have to work instead. frown

There are currently no comments on this News Article.