This thread was submitted to Hazel Grove

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 >>

TallPaul
Townsperson

TallPaul
Re: London 2012 Olympic Torch Route
21st March 2012 at 8:53AM, Edit: 21st March 2012 at 8:58AM by TallPaul
Drifter Wrote:

It would be interesting to know what % of local people are not interested in this at all.
Yes it may only happen once in your lifetime but in all honesty there are better ways to spend an afternoon.
I guess the fact itís going to Pepper Rd is nothing to do with the fact that Addidas UK is based there!

I think you'd be surprised, okay yeah itís not like the Queen is coming for a swift visit but there are children and local people who have been chosen to carry the torch. If it was me I would be fairly disappointed if I didn't receive a limited amount of support from the locals.

It's an event which okay through Stockport may not be watched worldwide or even nationally but it is indeed as you pointed out something which you will only see once in your lifetime.

Besides, it's going to happen around 8am-9am so I'm very happy you will have the afternoon to spend whichever way you class better than seeing the Olympic torch on its final run down to London. Are you going to watch the games? I'm not so itís about the closest I can get.

I'm not sure what the insinuation with the Adidas factory is but I'm sure this is planned this way as there is a large enough area for the 'crew' or is this maybe some large conspiracy theory involving Philips, NXP or Harris Interactive?
0 Likes 0 Dislikes Reply Reply Quote Quote Report Report  
Coleman
Good Citizen

Coleman
21st March 2012 at 9:12AM
Adidas are no longer on the estate, except in a very limited capacity, they moved to Trafford park! And the big white factory now lies empty.

There are a few staff in the newish offices they built but i think you will find they are mostly the admin staff from Reebok.

I am against the games in general, in the sense that i think it's a monumental waste of money and resources. And nothing more then the southerners doing a bit of attention seeking!

That said since they are going to happen now anyway, i suppose it is at least good for local people to get something out of it, and i may make an effort to watch them pass with the touch. I will however have to resist the urge to try and put it out! (who could resit if the opportunity presented?)
Robot69
Citizen

Robot69
21st March 2012 at 10:35AM
Olympics generally make a profit in terms of cash. I think a couple of games haven't historically (I'm sure some bean counters will come on here and re-analyse the figures to show they all make a loss). Then there are the regenerations aspects which will be similar to the impact the Commonwealth Games had on East M/cr.

Also, Manchester and other parts of the country will benefit. Football is being played around the country and national teams are setting up training camps all around the country.

I'm not really ar5ed about the games; I'm sure I'll watch some of it on the TV but you can't ignore the impact it will have around the country.
Coleman
Good Citizen

Coleman
21st March 2012 at 11:38AM
Robot69 Wrote:

Olympics generally make a profit in terms of cash. I think a couple of games haven't historically (I'm sure some bean counters will come on here and re-analyse the figures to show they all make a loss). Then there are the regenerations aspects which will be similar to the impact the Commonwealth Games had on East M/cr.

I'm pretty sure they always cost more then they bring in, i seem to remember hearing that Sydney took 10 years to recoup their costs. China will never recoup their costs, but no doubt will just write off the cost over time.

And as for regeneration, East Manchester is still a dump all these years after the commonwealth games.
Expert
Drifter
22nd March 2012 at 7:27PM
I expect they have chosen Pepper Road as it will be easy to seal of the industrial estate - on a Sunday - pack the thing up and fly it off to its next destination without interference from the gullible public they are trying to convince their bunfight is a good idea.

Whilst Adidas may have closed, that end of Pepper Road has sported an olympics logo for some time - I assume its still there? - and the fact that their factory and offices are now empty is irrelevant to a company looking for a photo opportunity.

The olympic games are no longer about sport. They are simply another way for big business to make money and an opportunity for certain people to inflate their egos. The despicable part is that the general population are inconvenienced and expected to pay for it.

The one thing we should remember is that London applied for them, London's bid was successful and London will pretend that they have been a great success whatever the outcome. They're London's games, let them keep it them London.
Coleman
Good Citizen

Coleman
22nd March 2012 at 10:53PM
Where is this Olympic logo? I don't recall seeing it in the 14 years I've worked on the estate!

Not saying it's not there but I've never seen it!

I might do some over time on the Sunday in question and get myself a closer look, purely out of morbid curiosity mind you!
Expert
Drifter
23rd March 2012 at 11:23AM
You can see it on Google Earth "Street View".
Coleman
Good Citizen

Coleman
25th March 2012 at 7:17PM
Nipped to the office yesterday and kept,my eyes peeled!

And sure enough tucked away in the corner of the remaining Adidas offices is a poster with that logo of Lisa Simpson doing something inappropriate!

Never noticed it because it's so tucked away, wonder how long it's been there?
Adora
Good Citizen

Adora
25th March 2012 at 10:46PM, Edit: 25th March 2012 at 10:52PM by Adora
TallPaul
Townsperson

TallPaul
26th March 2012 at 1:17PM
That street view is dated May 2011, I wonder (possibly a little off topic) why only part of the area was redone in '11 as the majority of it seems to be dated '08. Unless they're in the process of doing it.

They are clearly planning for an end of route olympic rave in the old Adidas place - what else?
<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 >>

Part of..